Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Set security only for certain data

Hello all,

We have a financial Power BI report which can basically be viewed by anyone in the organisation, however, only a limited number of people can see the profitability figure.

Right now, I am creating role-level-security with two groups (one can see the restricted figure and one cannot). However, this is quite cumbersome for me because I need to add people one by one into the right group, eventhough they are supposed to still see the unrestricted figures in any circumstances.

Is there an option to restrict only a certain data in the report? So that if a person is added in the group with the right to see data, they can see it. Otherwise, they can still see the rest of the data.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you can take a look at below link which told about use RLS with USERNAME fucntion to achieve dynamic RLS.

RLS with UserName()

>>Is there an option to restrict only a certain data in the report?

I'd like to suggest you enable the filter on specific data table and turn off 'apply security filter in both directions' option to apply security filter effect on only one side.

4.PNG 

Regards.

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft,

First of all thank you very much for your help! Sorry I did not explain the case clear enough. Let's say I have this table:

Business: Profit

A             13
B             14

C             15

Only managers can see profit for A, other people can only see the rest (B and C and other business). I have the list of managers, but not the list of other people (basically anyone else in the organisation). I have tried dynamic rls, but can not find any solution so that I dont need to go to the Power BI service and add each of the other people in.

Is there a solution to this case? Thank you!

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you need to create role table to add tag for users.(mark normal user and manage)

For rls filter condition, I'd like to suggest you to use username find out role tag. If tag not manager, filter on Business column with value not equal to "A", otherwise not enable filter.

Sampel table:

User Premission
abc@domina.com User
xyz@domina.com User
mange@domina.com Manager

Measure:

Permission = LOOKUPVALUE(Table[Role],Table[User],USERNAME())

Filter expression:

IF (
    ISERROR ( SEARCH ( "Manager", [Permission] ) ) = FALSE (),
    TRUE (),
    [Business] <> "A"
)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft:

So I still need to include each normal user in this role table? 

Capture.PNG

I am looking for a solution so I can avoid doing so, as there are endless number of normal users. I would like to manage only the list of managers, and anyone who is not in that list, will automatically have normal user right. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks,
Van

HI @Anonymous,

>>So I still need to include each normal user in this role table? 

Nope, my formula only check manager tag, if formula can't find specific user's tag, it will also return error and will be catched by ISERROR function.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Sorry for the late following up from this topic. I test the solution that you suggested. However, I still need to add each users on the row-level security in the app version. Otherwise, they will see this error message. Are there any other solutions to avoid doing so, as there are countless number of people that I would need to add here? Thank you!
Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.