Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Set line colors for top N line chart

I have a fairly simple line chart which uses a Top N (top 5) filter. No matter what the 5 top items are, I need to display the same 5 theme colors. This is easy to do with a bar chart using  RANKX measure and conditional formatting, but the conditional formatting option isn't available for line charts. There must be a workaround for this, but I can't find anything. Does anyone here have the answer?

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Currently , it is not supported to set conditional formatting for line chart in Power BI . There is an idea about this issue, please vote it up,   Formatting, Annotating, and Highlighting Line Charts ,  add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

While there is a workaround you may considerate. as  amitchandak's suggestion, you may create a Clustered column chart, set conditional formatting in Data color section , format by "Field value" . Then convert the bar visual to line chart. For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4iG8S4EpHs .

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xicai  This approach doesn't quite seem to work - possibly because I need each line to be a different color, rather than the data points on a single line to be different colors?

This is my original line chart

Capture1.PNG

So I need the 5 colors chosen in the legend at the bottom to always be the same, and I have a RANKX function which I could use to conditinally format them as I did with this bar chart:

Capture4.PNG

But when I turn that bar chart into a line chart, it starts like this:

Capture5.PNG

And once I change my legend, axis, and values back to match the original line chart (shown on the bottom), then the colors revert back and it's the same thing I started with.

Can you think of any other way this might be accomplished?

Thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can format the Marker. Have a bar visual first, set the conditional formatting there. Change it to the line visual. Maker will have color formatting

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous not sure if there is a way since conditional formatting is not available for the line chart. 

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.