Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

Service account login to Sharepoint Folder

Hello all,

We have recently started to move the business onto Sharepoint Online. I'm trying to get Power BI (desktop/Hosted server, not service!) to access an excel file on a sharepoint team-site documents folder.

The problem I have: I am trying to use a service account to connect to that sharepoint folder via Power BI, but when I use the organsiation login option it tells me the user cannot login (which I understand is standard for service accounts). When I try to use a windows login and provide the correct username + password, I get told the user isn't authorised to access the file. This is despite the fact I've even created a group (and placed the svc account into it) and given that group complete full access to the sharepoint site.

Is it just not possible to use a service account for this? or is there something I'm not doing correctly?

If it makes a difference, this is using Azure A/D, all o365 based.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@RobThrive 

You may check if the following post helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/SharePoint-online-to-PowerBI-incorrect-permissions/m-p/...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hawke
Frequent Visitor

Hi Rob, did you ever figure out a solution for this?  We are having the same issue.  I clicked on the link that was suggested, but that isn't the issue we are having. Our issue is that we aren't able to login using the service account without getting an error message.  If you were able to resolve the issue, please let me know what you did.

Thanks!

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@RobThrive 

You may check if the following post helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/SharePoint-online-to-PowerBI-incorrect-permissions/m-p/...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.