Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnf
Helper I
Helper I

Serial date from Excel not converting to date

Hi.

I'm importing an Excel file that I have to do a lot of transformation to.

The problem is buried in the columns of the imported data is dates that have been used as the column headers. Unfortunately on import it brings them in to a row with other headers in that row and has converted them to the serial date that is used by Excel in text.

After transforming to get the dates in a column and change the data trype to "Date" I get error "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value."

How can I convert the serial date in to a normal DD/MM/YYYY format?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @MarcelBeug.

Apologies I thought I had included it in the post, please find below:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("####.xls"), null, true),
    Sheet2 = Source{[Name="Sheet1"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sheet2,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}}),

But seeing your test M code has helped me isolate the issue as mine was auto converting all columns to type "text" and not type "any" as per your example. Even trying to manually change the "type text" to "type any" in the M code changed the column data type but didn't convert the serial to date.

It appears to have something to do with the version the Excel spreadsheet is in as it's saved as XLS. I converted it to an XLSX file and now I get the following M code on import:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("####.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet2 = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sheet2,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type any}, {"Column8", type any}, {"Column9", type any}, {"Column10", type any}, {"Column11", type any}, {"Column12", type any}, {"Column13", type any}, {"Column14", type any}, {"Column15", type any}, {"Column16", type any}, {"Column17", type any}, {"Column18", type any}, {"Column19", type any}}

And it's now autodetecting the dates correctly

Dates rendered correctlyDates rendered correctly

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

John

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
rocky09
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I beleive, you need to change the format first in Excel and try to get data again. Make sure, the date data doesn't contains any spaces/special characters.

Thanks @rocky09 the format is already set as short date in Exceland there is no special characters. All the dates render correctly in Excel.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Without screen shot and (the relevant small part of) your code it's rather impossible for me to paint the picture myself.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Sure @MarcelBeug. Please find screenshots below:

Excel datasetExcel datasetPower BI Query Editor ImportPower BI Query Editor ImportPower BI error messagePower BI error message

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Serial date from Excel not converting to date.png

The relevant part of your code is still missing...

If I try with a small sample of your sample, it works fine (see screenshot above).

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\Serial date from Excel not converting to date.xlsx"), null, true),
    Blad1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Blad1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Blad1_Sheet,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type any}, {"Column4", type any}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks @MarcelBeug.

Apologies I thought I had included it in the post, please find below:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("####.xls"), null, true),
    Sheet2 = Source{[Name="Sheet1"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sheet2,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}}),

But seeing your test M code has helped me isolate the issue as mine was auto converting all columns to type "text" and not type "any" as per your example. Even trying to manually change the "type text" to "type any" in the M code changed the column data type but didn't convert the serial to date.

It appears to have something to do with the version the Excel spreadsheet is in as it's saved as XLS. I converted it to an XLSX file and now I get the following M code on import:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("####.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet2 = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sheet2,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type any}, {"Column8", type any}, {"Column9", type any}, {"Column10", type any}, {"Column11", type any}, {"Column12", type any}, {"Column13", type any}, {"Column14", type any}, {"Column15", type any}, {"Column16", type any}, {"Column17", type any}, {"Column18", type any}, {"Column19", type any}}

And it's now autodetecting the dates correctly

Dates rendered correctlyDates rendered correctly

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.