Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Freefly
Frequent Visitor

Seprate Date from text file with numbers

Hi trying to connect a folder that recives new textfiles with some stats every day.
The data seam to load ok, but I dont manage to separate the date as "Date" so that it become usabel for showing trends etc.
My text file looks like this, 

Date : 12/06/2017
No of Transaction :  1418
ErrorCode                     :         3
System processing error        :         2
Transaction declined                :       37 

I could change text file it, but no clue what works

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi, thanks ok I try to rephrase.

I connect to a folder that will recive an new text file every day.

Stats 171206.txt

Stats 171207.txt

Stats 171208.txt

The content and format in the text file is as above.
I get the data in for all text files, but using your queary above only give the date 6th of Decmeber

I used Get data and connetcted to the folder and the user Combine & Edit
Not sure how you (canceling first row as header), i simply used filters in that column to remove Date.
Then did a dublicate query and replaced the query code with your code in the advanced editor

View solution in original post

If I read your example files from a folder, then I automatically get a table with 2 columns.

In the example query, I only need to transpose the table and promote headers.

In the main query, only the "Changed Type" needs to be adjusted.

This is the code van de example query:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(#"Sample File Parameter1",[Delimiter=":", Columns=2, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"Column1", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Trimmed Text"),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"No of Transaction", Int64.Type}, {"ErrorCode", Int64.Type}, {"System processing error", Int64.Type}, {"Transaction declined", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

This is the code from the main query:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\Freefly"),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Transform File from Freefly", each #"Transform File from Freefly"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Freefly"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Freefly", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from Freefly"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"No of Transaction", Int64.Type}, {"ErrorCode", Int64.Type}, {"System processing error", Int64.Type}, {"Transaction declined", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

This is how it is created, but after the recording I inserted step "Trimmed Text" in the example query (and recreated the "Changed Type" step in bot queries), to remove trailing spaces from the (future) column names.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks that did the trick, nice video to

Br

Håkan

4 REPLIES 4
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Source step of the query below, I pasted your input, using option "Enter Data" in the Query Editor (canceling first row as header).

Next, I created the other steps to only select the date and make it a date.
This will only work from Power BI Desktop version December 2017, in which the function Text.Select was introduced.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckksSVWwUjA00jcw0zcyMDRXitWJVvLLV8hPUwgpSswrTkwuyczPAypRMDQxtADLuhYV5Rc556ekKmADVnCWMVh1cGVxSWquQkFRfnJqcXFmXrpCKkg/pnIjsHJkS1NSk3My81JTcFlhbK6gFBsLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    FirstRow = Table.FirstN(Source,1),
    SelectedText = Table.TransformColumns(FirstRow,{{"Column1", each Text.Select(_,{"0".."9","/"}), type text}}),
    Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(SelectedText,{{"Column1", type date}})
in
    Typed

Probably this is not what you are looking for, but it is the best I can offer with the information you supplied.

You might consider rephrasing your question.

Hi, thanks ok I try to rephrase.

I connect to a folder that will recive an new text file every day.

Stats 171206.txt

Stats 171207.txt

Stats 171208.txt

The content and format in the text file is as above.
I get the data in for all text files, but using your queary above only give the date 6th of Decmeber

I used Get data and connetcted to the folder and the user Combine & Edit
Not sure how you (canceling first row as header), i simply used filters in that column to remove Date.
Then did a dublicate query and replaced the query code with your code in the advanced editor

If I read your example files from a folder, then I automatically get a table with 2 columns.

In the example query, I only need to transpose the table and promote headers.

In the main query, only the "Changed Type" needs to be adjusted.

This is the code van de example query:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(#"Sample File Parameter1",[Delimiter=":", Columns=2, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"Column1", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Trimmed Text"),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"No of Transaction", Int64.Type}, {"ErrorCode", Int64.Type}, {"System processing error", Int64.Type}, {"Transaction declined", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

This is the code from the main query:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\Freefly"),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Transform File from Freefly", each #"Transform File from Freefly"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Freefly"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Freefly", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from Freefly"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"No of Transaction", Int64.Type}, {"ErrorCode", Int64.Type}, {"System processing error", Int64.Type}, {"Transaction declined", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

This is how it is created, but after the recording I inserted step "Trimmed Text" in the example query (and recreated the "Changed Type" step in bot queries), to remove trailing spaces from the (future) column names.

Thanks that did the trick, nice video to

Br

Håkan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.