Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ldrivinghawk
Regular Visitor

Sendgrid Connection For Desktop Version

Hi there,

Wondering why the sendgrid connection is available for the online version but not the desktop version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ldrivinghawk,

Currently, Power BI desktop doesn't provide built-in Sendgrid connector. You can download Sendgrid template files and .m file from here:

- Install the latest PBI Desktop 
- Create a folder called Extensions under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin 
- Copy the .m file to that folder 
- Set these 2 environment variables in Windows: 
   PQ_EnableExtensionDeveloper = true 
   PQ_ExtensionDirectory = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\Extensions 
- Open the PBIT file

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ldrivinghawk,

Currently, Power BI desktop doesn't provide built-in Sendgrid connector. You can download Sendgrid template files and .m file from here:

- Install the latest PBI Desktop 
- Create a folder called Extensions under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin 
- Copy the .m file to that folder 
- Set these 2 environment variables in Windows: 
   PQ_EnableExtensionDeveloper = true 
   PQ_ExtensionDirectory = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\Extensions 
- Open the PBIT file

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft , This PBIT file gives email statistics.

Do we have any other PBIT or PBIX which will give us SMS reporting capabilities?

Thanks,

Namita

Hi can we get the sendgrid data without any aggregation by using mentioned template files. 

Currently data is aggregated by day.

@DazBox_za ,

For anybody struggling with this, these two additional steps should solve your problems:

1. Open Power BI Desktop. Go to File  --> Options and Settings --> Options --> Security
    • Under "Data Extensions" select the second "not recommended" option to allow extensions to load without validation
    • Select "OK"
    • Close Power BI
  2. Copy the .M file provided to user\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors

Open up the provided PBIT file after this, and you should be prompted to enter your SendGrid login details

@gscara @spawnian @PBILover @keribeal 

Thank you! managed to get it to work and load the user and pass request, the thing is that my validated user and pass are not working and authenticating.. any idea why this could happened? 

Hi there and many thanks for this solution. The PBI file is loading but no prompt for user and password. Any help is appriciated 🙂 (tried updating the m file with current user and pass of Sendgrid but it did not help)

I've searched the web on how to get SendGrid data into Power BI and was lead to this post. However, I'm unable to get it to work.

I've followed the steps outlined in the above posts but never get prompted to log in when opening the pbit file.

@DazBox_za  Thank you very, this solution works!!

but i can see only email statistics reports , how to get data for SMS from sendgrid?

Is there any PBIT/PBIX file for that?

Thanks,

Namita

Works like a charm, used it to dump 3 years worth of stats out of a send grid account i'm about to close.

Thanks for your help!

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft how to i set a username & password or API key for this to get my data?

The template loads ok but shows no data or prompts for credentials.

Thanks in advance.

After following above process, got below error

'Fields that need to be fixed'

Please suggest

Hi

I tried the solution that you posted and was unable to download any SendGrid data.  I assume that I have to modify the .m file to enter my SendGrid credentials or should the PowerBI file be asking me to provide these.

Thanks in advance.

Did not work for me either..

Anyone get this working, or detailed steps required to do so ?

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.