Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andralva

Self-service enterprise data sources

Hy everyone,
I'm trying to propose a self service solution in Power BI.

The company wants that some users create their own reports based on Power BI datasets (created and approved by IT/BI). Those datasets have some roles applied (RLS).
I was thinking to create a self service workspace that have the datasets available for users and allowed them to create reports. However, in order to apply RLS, users should have Viewer role in the workspace, and with that role they won't be able to create / build reports and publish them (Contributor role is required to do that). If I assign them the Contributor role, RS won't be applied.

Is there a recommended approach to allowing users to create their own reports off of datasets created and approved internally in IT/BI? Which woud be the best way to guarantee the security over those datasets (RLS)? Is there any documentation on a recommended process?

1 REPLY 1
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andralva ,

If you want to give users editing permissions in the context of applying RLS, this contradicts the limitations of RLS itself.

If this premise is in place, Power BI is currently difficult to achieve your needs.
You can take a look at the following article to see if this document can be of some help to you:

Object-Level Security in Power BI 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.