Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

masons21
Frequent Visitor

Self-populating table

I'm looking to build a table that references a database. Basically, on the last day of each month I want to count the number of rows in the database and record it with the associated month. I'd like to generate a new row with this number each month. I can do this manually right now, but it would be great to do it automatically. Is this possible in Power BI Desktop? The database is connected via DirectQuery but importing it is an option if need be. 

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @masons21 

Power bi could only add column data, for your case, I think you could use the logic to create a measure or a calculate column for it.

Best Reards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @masons21 

If all tables have a date stamp you can just use it as a group by in your visual and create a measure that does cont rows on each table.

COUNTROWS( table )
Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Thanks for your suggestion @Mariusz 

That's not exactly what I need to do - I can use the COUNTROWS function but I need the total number of rows in the database each month, regardless of when the rows were generated. So the dates associated with them are meaningless for this purpose as there may be carry-over each month. I need a new row to be generated in a new table each month that populates with the total number of rows in the database at that time.

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @masons21 

You can not insert rows in query editor ( to my knowledge ), if you are working with direct query ( sql I'm guessing ) you might as well do it there.

If no one is removing records from your tables ( should not happen anyway ), you could create a measure with running total like below.

Measure = 
COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(
        ALL( 'Table' ),
        'Table'[createdDate] <= MAX('Table'[createdDate] )
    )
)

This would return 

image.png
Based on dataset 

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.