Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sweet-T
Helper III
Helper III

Selectively hide or obscure a page based on Roles

Hi everyone:

I want to hide a page from view of some users, based on roles. To be clear, I don't mean "right-clicking the tab and hiding tab", unless this can be done circumstantially. 

I have 2 identical pages generated: one with sensitive data and one without. I have already used RLS to obscure the sensitive data on the 2nd page from those who should not see it. 

However, users are still able to view the page (albeit with blank columns) and it is causing confusion. 

I'm looking for a creative solution to cover/obscure the contents of the page based on Roles - I was thinking of something to the effect of a Card visual or a Text Box that direct the user back to the appropriate page for their role. I'm unsure how to do this for roles; has anyone experienced a similar question?

Image1.PNG

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sweet-T,

You may leave a comment and vote this idea up.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Heyhamoon

Hide the page, then create a button for navigate to the page, then use RLS to hide or disable the button.

To do that you add a table to your data with a column which its row contain the name of your page. Then create a button and go to action, set it to page navigation, then instead of choosing a page go to function and choose the field which have the name of your page. At last go to manage role and district that field for desired roles so the button doesn't work for them. That's it.

Additionally you can use the same approach in text property to hide the name of page of you want, that way the button text for ones who doesn't access will be blank.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to get a COUNT of the restricted table and if it returns BLANK or 0 then you could have a measure display that text in a card visual versus otherwise, have that visual be blank.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hey Greg, thanks for the help!

The measure works well. However, I want to obscure the whole page and only text isn't quite sufficient. I can implement a background on the card visual, but then it obscures the page regardless. Any way to hide/show the visual itself based upon the measure?

@Sweet-T,

You may leave a comment and vote this idea up.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.