Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Msayner_EGMGU
Regular Visitor

Selectively Grant Data Export Ability

Hi,

I would like to selectively grant users to have the ability to export underlying and/or summarised data from a Power BI report that I have created.  I.e. this setting would be part of the permissions in granting a user access.  Is this currently possible?

I have 2 identical copies of the same report at the moment to work around this.

Thanks,

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Msayner_EGMGU ,

If you mean export feature on service side, it is possible. You can enable RLS on your report with username as conditions. After you dispatch role to users, they can only export correspondent records.

RLS with UserName()

For power bi desktop, you can't achieve this.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Does RLS not restrict the data showing in the front end as well as being able to be exported though?

What I am after is that all users can see the visualizations of the data on the reports but will not have access to download the data into a local file - hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Allowing a select set of users to export the data is possible. 

In Office 365 admin center, we can create groups. You have to create a "Security Group" by giving a group name and add users to this group. Only those users who should have the export option need to be added.

Then in Power BI admin portal, go to "Tenant Settings" and select "Export Data" under "Export and Sharing Settings". There is an option to enable export data for the "entire organization" or "to specific security groups". Enable the option by selecting the "specific security groups" and add the "Security Group" that you have created in Office 365 admin center in this field.

Once you do this, the users in that security group will have the option to export data and for other users who are not part of the group will not have this option. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.