Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apai
Regular Visitor

Selection Issue with Filter

In my report, there are three categories by which the visuals can be filtered by: Endpoint, Dataset, and Ring and I have a slicer for each. Not all Endpoints have the same Datasets or Rings. For example, the Teams Voice Endpoint only has one Dataset and one Ring. The issue arises when a user selects one Endpoint, Dataset, and Ring, and tries to switch to an Endpoint for which the previously selected Dataset and/or Ring does not exist.Teams_Selected.jpg

The visuals become blank because the previous Dataset and Ring is still selected. Is there a way to assign priority to the Endpoint slicer so that whenever a selection is changed there, the values in the other two categories are filtered accordingly and any previous values are automatically unselected? If not, should I be using a different slicer or is there a different way I should approach the problem?

Windows_Selected.jpg

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @apai ,

As you refer your problem as to do with the order the users select your slicers, you can try one of this workarounds:

Hierarchy Slicer (Custom visual) :https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380820?tab=Overview

Another option is to create a measure that will return and error if the result is blank that alerts the user to select the other two options.

You can also add a hint or a order number to visually the users understand the order of the selection.

Just making some workaroudns, maybe they are not the best solution overall.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @apai ,

As you refer your problem as to do with the order the users select your slicers, you can try one of this workarounds:

Hierarchy Slicer (Custom visual) :https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380820?tab=Overview

Another option is to create a measure that will return and error if the result is blank that alerts the user to select the other two options.

You can also add a hint or a order number to visually the users understand the order of the selection.

Just making some workaroudns, maybe they are not the best solution overall.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.