Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Christianvs
Helper I
Helper I

Selecting value from different row

Hi

I got a table that looks like this:

Christianvs_0-1666698066166.png

My goal is to add a new column called NEWDIST where the DIST value is used unless there are rows with same ID. In that case it should use the DIST value of the of the ID with a blank REF. For the table here the result should look like:

Christianvs_1-1666698250902.png

I added the COUNT column to with find the duplicates in ID and tried to do an IF statement in a calculated column:

NEWDIST = IF( NOT( ISBLANK( Table[COUNT]) ),
   *FUNCTION THAT CHOOSES DIST FROM ROW 1*,
   MAX(Table[DIST]))

I tried using CALCULATE with a FILTER but I havent got it working. Anybody able to help me out?
If it is possible without first making the COUNT column that would be great, I just couldn't figure out how to do it without.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

I am not sure if the whole possible situations are considered, but seeing the sample provided above, I tried to create a calcualted column like below.

Please check the attached pbix file and the below picture.

Jihwan_Kim_0-1666699273968.png

New DIST CC =
IF (
    Data[Ref] = BLANK (),
    Data[DIST],
    MAXX (
        FILTER ( Data, Data[ID] = EARLIER ( Data[ID] ) && Data[Ref] = BLANK () ),
        Data[DIST]
    )
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

I am not sure if the whole possible situations are considered, but seeing the sample provided above, I tried to create a calcualted column like below.

Please check the attached pbix file and the below picture.

Jihwan_Kim_0-1666699273968.png

New DIST CC =
IF (
    Data[Ref] = BLANK (),
    Data[DIST],
    MAXX (
        FILTER ( Data, Data[ID] = EARLIER ( Data[ID] ) && Data[Ref] = BLANK () ),
        Data[DIST]
    )
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thanks a lot Jihwan_Kim! It solved my problem 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.