Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsinha
Frequent Visitor

Selecting the current month/year as a default selection in chiclet slicers when the report opens up

Hi,

I have a requirement where the latest month and year in the chiclet slicer should always be selected when the report opens up.
Currently I have set the property of the slicers as forced selection so that one value will always be selected by default when the report is opened. Screenshot of our current slicer is attached below.

Now if I select the current month and year in the slicer and save the report then I can achieve it but this is a temporary solution because when a new year or month data gets added in the source, It still selects those month & year for which the report was saved. It doesn't take the latest data as a default selection. So I would like to know if  there is a way to set the latest month and year as a default value to the chiclet slicer and if yes would like to know the workarounds.

Please note, we dont have a separate date table to extract the data for the Year/month filter. We are directly using the CalendarYear and CalendarMonth column from the source data sheet for these filters. Below is the screenshot of the chiclet slicer and the sample data we are using for this.

Slicer.png

Data.PNG

Thanks in advance!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Doby42
Frequent Visitor

I was looking around for this as well and still seems like no solution.

However, the work around I plan to do is create a column that categorizes the month/year for today as "Current Month", and then lists all the month/years.  Then see if I can select current month as the default and have it work.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get any workaround for this?

timothywright27
Frequent Visitor

Seconded!

Would be great if the user opened the report to see the current Year/Period data, rather than having to select each time.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@dsinha,

A workaround that I can think of is to create the following column in your table, drag the column to Page Level filter and set its value to 1.

checkdate = IF('Table'[Year]=YEAR(TODAY()) && 'Table'[Month]=MONTH(TODAY()),1,0)
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply Lydia.

But with the solution which you have provided ,we can only see one year/month in the filter which is the latest one.

But my requirement is only to select the latest year/month by default along with other years/months being displayed in the chiclet slicer.

@dsinha

According to my knowledge, it is not possible to automatically show current year/month as you describe.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.