Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JacoMathew
Frequent Visitor

Selecting an Item in a donut charts higlights the items instead of filtering

Hi,

I have 1 donut chart with 10 Countries and another donut chart with States names of the 10 countries.
I have set it up the donut chart to cross filter each other.

My issue is when I click on a country in Countries chart, Countries chart is only highlighting the selected country and not filtering that visual to show only the selected country. The states charts is filtering to show only the states on the seleted county. Is there an option to make sure that when I select a Country in the countries chart, the chart show only that Country ?

If I use a slicer with countries and select a country in the slicer, then the Country donut chart is showing only the country that was selected in the slicer.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JacoMathew ,

As I mentioned before, when you just click on a data point on visuals, the selected item will only be highlighted ,no other choice.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JacoMathew ,

Ok. I could understand your issue: you want to filter out data by clicking on the data points, right?

To my knowledge, when you just click on a data point on visuals, the selected item will only be highlighted , and other data will be grayed out and will not disappear.

You could right-click the data point after clicking on it, and then select "Include" to show selected items like this:

include.gif

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-eqin-msft ,

Thanks for the "Include" tip. But thats an additional step and right click and Include wont scale well if I have additonal charts. It actually an 8 donut chart (client requirement) set up which acts as filter visuals.

I was hoping for an option to toggle filtering out data by clicking on the data points. I tried my luck with DAX, but with my limited know-how, not able to get any results there. I am open to DAX solutions also.

Thanks.
Jaco

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JacoMathew ,

Could you please some screenshots or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data?

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hey @v-eqin-msft ,

Please find the one drive link to the pbix file. Its a very simple file with 2 donut charts. I also kept a slicer to show what happens when an item is selected from the slicer and when an items is selected from the visual.

Link to PBIX file

Thanks for you time.

Jaco

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@JacoMathew 

have you tried Edit interactons?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hey @ryan_mayu 

Yes, The donut charts are set to filter instead of highlight.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.