Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdt008
Advocate II
Advocate II

Selecting a data element in a Slicer brings you back to the top of the Slicer.

When you scroll and select a data element within a Slicer, the Slicer auto scrolls to the top.  Please advise.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
joe817
Frequent Visitor

I did not see the problem in 2017-June update and earlier, but the problem comes back again in the 2017-July update. I'll use custom visual for now until Microsoft people fix it.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This one I do see in the Desktop and it is pretty annoying!!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Check the data that your Slicer selection is pointing to. I've found this happened to me after importing excel tables. After experimenting and saving the table to CSV files prior to using in BI, Slicer selections remains as is

We are connected to a tabular model for scalability.  We do not work with CSV files.  Thanks.

I don't see this happening on every slicer I create... Can you confirm the same? The behaviour appears to only occur when there are many values to choose from. This is purely speculative, but if you watch the size of the gray box in the scroll bar on the right, it will blink and change shape after you reach a certain point (probably adjusting to the amount of data in the slicer). The "jump up" behaviour starts on any selection I make after that occurs. You can repeat the sequence each time by clearing the selections and you will notice the grey bar resizes again.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Eno , that could be it , I can easily test that, when I filtered my Slicer dates to 2 years instead of 10, at the time I was having other issues BI issues and never made that correlation.

jdt -seems I'm also working a tabular model, but that really has nothing to do with your problem- I'm playing around with this to find its limitations- I'll look into you problem anyway

The reason for this issue is exactly as Eno stated- See Eno's statement above

Experiment Setup- 3 tables, 2 Slicers connected to "Criteria Table", "Unique table", "Results table"

I attached 2 Slicers to a "Criteria table", Slicer #1 accessed the data in a general way causing many more choicesto show up  in the Unique table (Unique table is connected to the Results table), Slicer #2 was more specific, data to the "Unique Table" was much less. Slicer #1 gave me results (in the Results Table) when selecting near the top of the Slicer but not below a certain point, that's when the stated problems occured. Slicer 2 caused no issues, there was much less choices in the Slicerto choose from.

Therefore Eno is correct

I filtered the data I didnt need just to simplify and ran into this issue only prior to the filter. 

asHley95e

Soooo, it looks like the next step is to find how Bi responds to split tables- I have a few ideas- anyone done this yet? 

whew, glad I'm probing and not working with live data

Correct, not on every slicer.  And yes, I'm observing the same behavior that you describe. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.