Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charles_g
Advocate I
Advocate I

Selected page level filters and slicers are not passed to custom tooltip

Hi,

I have a bar chart and I would like the tooltip to inherit the slicers and filters set at the page level.

This works correctly if I switch on "Keep all filters" on the tooltip page.

However, I don't want to pass all the filters set at the visual level, therefore I turn off the option "Keep all filters" and I drag the filters that I want to keep individually.

But in this case, the tooltip doesn't keep any slicer or filter. It only takes the context set by the axis and legend of the bar graph.

Is this the expected behabior? It seems strange that I can either keep the full filter context including slicers, page level and visual level filters, or only the context set by the dimensions of the visual.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply @v-henryk-mstf ,

Unfortunately, your solution doesn't work, but it helped me find a workaround that requires to use a different measure in the tooltip.

To clarify, here is what I get if I set Keep all filters on the tooltip page:

KeepAllFilters.png

But I want to set a different filter on Place in the tooltip while keeping the filters on Month and Name from the bar chart. Here's what I want to get and expected when I selected the Month and Name filters on the tooltip page:

filters.png

expected.png

My workaround is to select Keep all filters and use a different measure in the tooltip to replace the filter on Place, as follows:

Total Amount new =
CALCULATE(
SUM(Transactions[Amount]),
Places[Place] = "Rome"
)
And here's the result:
final.png

The tooltip keeps the filter on Place from the chart but it is replaced in the measure.

I'm still puzzled by the behavior of the filter inheritance in the tooltip and I'm surprised that this requires a woraround.

I must be missing something.

(The figures are different from my previous post and from your post because I used a random function in DAX to generate the data)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @charles_g ,

It is not yet clear what you need, can you provide the relevant screenshot description and test data, so that I can solve it for you as soon as possible.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Power BI Community

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Hi @v-henryk-mstf

Have you had the chance to look at the new details I posted or do you need more information?

Many thanks,

Charles

Hi Henri,

Thank you for your reply.

Here's a very simple model for demonstration.

charles_g_0-1655193210386.png

If I select Keep all filters on the tooltip page, it works as expected.

charles_g_1-1655193274798.png

But if I select individual filters to keep. It only keeps the filter on the month, which is the context set by the visual itself. It ignores the filters applied on Name. 

charles_g_2-1655193386043.png

charles_g_3-1655193400708.png

The expected value is 2460 when only the filters on Month and Name are applied.

Link to the PBIX:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsL1_x1q-_NMg4IXiXDB4TgG7RYR2g?e=Q6vukA

Hi @charles_g ,

Although it is not clear how the 2460 was calculated. If you want to keep the filter conditions for the Month field and Name field, you can modify the following formula.

Total amount = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Transactions[Amount] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Names, Names[Name] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Dates, Dates[Month] )
)

vhenrykmstf_0-1655370567354.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply @v-henryk-mstf ,

Unfortunately, your solution doesn't work, but it helped me find a workaround that requires to use a different measure in the tooltip.

To clarify, here is what I get if I set Keep all filters on the tooltip page:

KeepAllFilters.png

But I want to set a different filter on Place in the tooltip while keeping the filters on Month and Name from the bar chart. Here's what I want to get and expected when I selected the Month and Name filters on the tooltip page:

filters.png

expected.png

My workaround is to select Keep all filters and use a different measure in the tooltip to replace the filter on Place, as follows:

Total Amount new =
CALCULATE(
SUM(Transactions[Amount]),
Places[Place] = "Rome"
)
And here's the result:
final.png

The tooltip keeps the filter on Place from the chart but it is replaced in the measure.

I'm still puzzled by the behavior of the filter inheritance in the tooltip and I'm surprised that this requires a woraround.

I must be missing something.

(The figures are different from my previous post and from your post because I used a random function in DAX to generate the data)

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @charles_g ,

It is not yet clear what you need, can you provide the relevant screenshot description and test data, so that I can solve it for you as soon as possible.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Power BI Community

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors