Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MITeam
Regular Visitor

Selected Measure (Parameter) to exclude Categories

Hi

I have a parameted that switches the left column of a table to cycle through D&I elements. 

Each of the D&I elemtnes (Age / Gender / Ethnicity etc) have "Not Captured" - This is the bulk so charts etc do not look good so I want to exclude them - If in the visual filters I exclude for each category I lose most data i.e where someone has answered on but not another they are completely excluded.

I wanted to do a measure like the following but as I cant get it to work for the life of me - Any help appreciated:

_INC/EXC = 

switch

(

true(),

and(selectedvalue([parameter]) = "Gender", [Gender] = "Not Disclosed"),"Exc",

and(selectedvalue([parameter]) = "Nationality", [Nationality] = "Not Disclosed"),"Exc",

... , 

... , 

"Inc"

)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
olgad
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

_INC/EXC =

switch

(max('Your Parameter Table Name'[Parameter Order]),
1, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Gender])="Not Disclosed", "Exc", "Inc"),
2, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Nationality])="Not Disclosed", "Exc", "Inc"))

Place it onto Visual Filters, Contain Inc
Just in case shoing to you how it goes with my data
olgad_0-1674558750318.png
_INC/EXC =

switch

(max('Field Parameter'[Parameter Order]),
1, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Product'[Category])="Mix", "Exc", "Inc"),
2, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Product'[Segment])="Extreme", "Exc", "Inc"))

olgad_1-1674558854934.png

Please kudo and accept the solution if it helps:)

DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? PLEASE MARK MY POST AS A SOLUTION! APPRECIATE YOUR KUDO/LIKE!
PROUD TO BE A SUPER USER!
Best Stories, Interesting Cases: PowerBI Storytime Newsletter
Linkedin Profile: Linkedin
YouTube Channel: PowerBI Storytime

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MITeam
Regular Visitor

Hi.

Thanks for your reply

The problem was that as I was using a parameter as the driver and each category in the parameter had its own "Not Disclosed" I eneded up doing a long measure and adding this measure to the table and filtered the measure on "Inc" then removed the measure fomr the table... It gave me a headache but I got there 

__Inc/Exc = SWITCH(true(),
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Age Category]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Age Category])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Disability]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Disability])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Ethnic Group]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Ethnic Group])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Gender Identity]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Gender Identity])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Nationality]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Nationality])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Neurodiverse]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Neurodiverse])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Parents]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Parents])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Qualification]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Qualification])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Religion]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Religion])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__School Meals]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__School Meals])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__School Type]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__School Type])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Sex]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Sex])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
and(SELECTEDVALUE('Z. Diversity'[Z. Diversity Fields])="'-_Div'[__Sexual Orientation]",SELECTEDVALUE('-_Div'[__Sexual Orientation])="Not Captured"),"Excl",
"Incl")
olgad
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

_INC/EXC =

switch

(max('Your Parameter Table Name'[Parameter Order]),
1, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Gender])="Not Disclosed", "Exc", "Inc"),
2, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Nationality])="Not Disclosed", "Exc", "Inc"))

Place it onto Visual Filters, Contain Inc
Just in case shoing to you how it goes with my data
olgad_0-1674558750318.png
_INC/EXC =

switch

(max('Field Parameter'[Parameter Order]),
1, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Product'[Category])="Mix", "Exc", "Inc"),
2, if(SELECTEDVALUE('Product'[Segment])="Extreme", "Exc", "Inc"))

olgad_1-1674558854934.png

Please kudo and accept the solution if it helps:)

DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? PLEASE MARK MY POST AS A SOLUTION! APPRECIATE YOUR KUDO/LIKE!
PROUD TO BE A SUPER USER!
Best Stories, Interesting Cases: PowerBI Storytime Newsletter
Linkedin Profile: Linkedin
YouTube Channel: PowerBI Storytime

Looks cleaner than the solution I managed - Thankyou

ADPowerBI1
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I belive you could just unselect blank values from the filter pane.

ADPowerBI1_1-1674558830903.png

Have you tried this for each of the categories? 

Let me know if this works, if not I'll have a further look. Thanks and good luck! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.