Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EnnisT
Frequent Visitor

Select sample values from a table dynamically based on Slicer

Hi , I am new to the forum , so thank you all in advance.

I am trying to  create virtual table, by randomly selecting 1 or more rows from a table depending on the single value selection that is done on the  slicer.

For example, if "3" is selected on the slicer , i need 3 randomly selected rows to be filtered from the table . Eventually I want to calculate the sum of the "values" of these randomly selected 3 rows and use it in my model.

I have searched the forum and found the Sample() function which  does the job properly in terms of generating a table with sample values.

However I was unable have it work with the slicer.

I have created a numeric measure from the slicer selection,and positioned it in the SIZE section of the SAMPLE function, but it did not generate any value. 

That would be great if I can find a solution to this problem.

Many thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @EnnisT,

If I understand your requirements correctly, I'm afraid we can't do it like that. Because the table (the calculated table ) can't respond to the slicer. 

What's the expected result? Maybe we can do it with measures. Can you share a dummy sample?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale, 

The sample data is as follows. There are stores distributed into two regions and each store has a cost value.

In the model , as a part of restructring 'some' of the stores will be closed and  cost savings will be calculated.

The quantity of the stores to be closed needs to be selected with the slicer.  But the stores should be selected randomly , any of them may be closed.

Ennis

Capture3.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.