Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimCPA
Regular Visitor

Select a Measure in a Visual to act as a filter

I was able to create a parameter that I referenced in a measure to provide the three options below. After Googling, it seemed you can't add a measure to a legend, but I saw a solution where the 3 separate items are made into individual measures and then included as Values. Worked great and gave me the visualization below. I'm assuming this was the best way to create something like below.

My question is is it possible, for example, to select a bar in the graph below and let Power Bi know that measure is a filter?

If I have other visualizations without measures, I can select items and it filters the chart below with the measures. I can't seem to be able to figure out if it's possible to do the reverse and select a measure that would filter the non-measure (columns) items in the rest of the visuals.

TimCPA_0-1629477659532.png

In case it matters, each of the three measures included as a separate value where written accordingly.

Label Over = COUNTAX( FILTER(ALL(CRM), [Parameter AUM Measure] = "Over Value" ) , [Managed Value] )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@TimCPA So, I am assuming you are using something along the lines of the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick...

So the answer is a probable "no". The reason is that the table used for the legend is, well, disconnected. Thus, when you click on it, it doesn't filter anything. If however you had data in a fact table that mirrored the labels and you connected the legend table to the fact table 1->* then yes.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@TimCPA I thought of another possibility but it depends. You could use HASONEVALUE in a measure formula against your legend table. If HASONEVALUE then you could theoretically create a Complex Selector or something but this is going to depend heavily on your data and what exactly you are trying to accomplish:

The Complex Selector - Microsoft Power BI Community

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@TimCPA So, I am assuming you are using something along the lines of the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick...

So the answer is a probable "no". The reason is that the table used for the legend is, well, disconnected. Thus, when you click on it, it doesn't filter anything. If however you had data in a fact table that mirrored the labels and you connected the legend table to the fact table 1->* then yes.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.