Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aoliver
Helper III
Helper III

Select Rows if text Contains (Value of a list)

Hello everyone, ill explain my problem with examples:

I have a table like this:

ID - Message

1 - @asdf
2 - @8rr

3 - 674

4 - 1231@3
etc
In a List, i have the differents  values which I want to filter  of the  previous table, i.e:
List: 
@8
@3

What I want is filter the first table, in the case  that  the message contain  ANY of the values of the list, so my expected result would be:

1 - @asdf

3 - 674

Check  that its CONTAINS and not EQUAL.

Ok, lets go to M code, after my test, I could solve partially the problem, I achieve to filter if the message is Exactly the string in the List, with the following code: 

= Table.SelectRows(#"Replaced Value1", each not (List.Contains(List, [message])))

After a research, Ill try this code, but it does not work: 
= Table.SelectRows(#"Replaced Value1", each not (List.MatchesAny(List, each Text.Contains([message],_))))

It brings me the following error:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply field access to the type Text.

So, any ideas of how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aoliver here is how you can do it

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTQVXBILE5JU4rViVYyAvEsiorAHGMgx8zcBMw2AbINjYwNHYyVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x) => List.MatchesAny(SearchList, each Text.Contains(x[Column1], _)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

here is the query for SearchList

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcrBQitUBUsZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    Column1 = #"Changed Type"[Column1]
in
    Column1

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aoliver here is how you can do it

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTQVXBILE5JU4rViVYyAvEsiorAHGMgx8zcBMw2AbINjYwNHYyVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x) => List.MatchesAny(SearchList, each Text.Contains(x[Column1], _)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

here is the query for SearchList

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcrBQitUBUsZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    Column1 = #"Changed Type"[Column1]
in
    Column1

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k 

Sorry for mention you again, my  problem has changed a little:

It is possible to filter 2 times in 2 different columns? Let me explain with an example:
My table
ID - STATUS 1 - STATUS 2
1 - TD - #8

2 - TD - #5

3 - TM - #5

I want to filter with AND not with Any, for example (in my  list) 

List 1      List2

TD          #8

TM          #5

So, List1 filters status1 and List 2 filters status2,

so the result would be
2 - TD - #5

There is a problem: the value of the list is not the whole value of status columns, its just a part of it.

Have the example sense? Any ideas? 
Ive tried to create 2 conditional columns but that is a OR not an AND, in logical forms.

Thanks again

Amazing, this is exactly what I looking for, THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.