Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kashinoda
Advocate I
Advocate I

'Select All' doesn't work when filtering a slicer.

The new slicer filtering is great but it appears to be broken when using the 'select all' functionality. Is this just me?

23 REPLIES 23
John-Cena88
Frequent Visitor

I read it works as expected form product team but from the user perspective this is definetly not what we expect to happen! Still unsolved even if a lot of people want that feature. thanks microsoft

BenArnold
Frequent Visitor

This issue still seems to be present in the June 2023 version. Has anyone come up with a solution yet? It's creating an awful lot of extra effort to produce a workaround.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue in 2022.  Still seems like the issue is not solved?  Unless there is a solution that someone has found that I am not seeing.

Back in 2020 I got the response to this that it works as designed:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/quot-Select-all-quot-behavior-on-a-slicer-while-visual-level...

Not very user friendly

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem. Are there any solutions by now? 

powerb1
Frequent Visitor

Any news on this topic?
Is it a bug?

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kashinoda ,

This looks weird as I don't experience any such functionality error at my end.

Just to sanity check on your data column that you are using as fileter: Can you confirm that you are using same "EMPLOYEE" column in your slicer and your Visual Level Filter?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

@Pragati11- I'm not the person you're addressing but I have the same issue.
I can confirm that the field used in the Filter visual and Table visual is the same field. I have just removed that same field from both visuals and then put it back in those visuals to see if removing it/adding it will trigger/refresh it to work. I'm afraid it still doesn't work.

@Kashinodahas provided a very good demonstration of this issue faced.

Hi @D_PBI ,

Apologies for tagging you by mistake.

@Kashinoda Can you confirm that you are using the same column in Visual level filter, your slicer and your chart?

As i am not able to replicate the same issue as you are facing. For me it works.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11

Its still the case, latest version of Power BI Desktop with Excel as source. (Happens in SQL or Analysis Services too)

Using 'Select All':

QGtZzJw

Manually selecting 'Bob' and 'Aaron'

4A47UEK

Relationship:

wLN5NyE

Hi @Kashinoda ,

Can you make your relationship bi-directional and see if this works?

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 

A bi-directional relationship doesn't solve the issue, I wouldn't expect it to either. I uploaded the PBIX, Try yourself:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10QwYrgDYd4pGz8ZIGTUL92KRoh02Tyul 

Hi @Kashinoda ,

I think you are not trying things the way they work:

1. Visual level filter of EMPLOYEE on your bar chart:

When you select anything on EMPLOYEE, the bar chart will get filtered as it is a visual level filter on your chart. This will not filter the slicer present on the report.

slicer1.png

2. Trying to filter the chart using the Slicer present on the report:

slicer2.png

This will affect the chart and filters it based on the selection in the slicer.

Now the above screenshots are from the pbix file that you shared.

It looks perfectly fine to me.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 

I know how filters work, I've tried to make this example as basic as possible because people are misconstruing the problem. Let me clarify this issue again.

In June 2019 Microsoft added the ability to apply visual-level filters to a slicer, this meant you could restrict the available options within a slicer. This was not possible prior to this date.

In the example I showed, I've limited the slicer to only 'Aaron' and 'Bob. Here it is again for reference.

OEUJ650

So here there are only 2 employees available on the slicer, but when I use the 'Select All' button it's selecting all employees - even the ones not included in the visual level filter for the slicer. I would expect to see the SalesAmount for Bob and Aaron only, I don't.

5lUeq95

This is probably an oversight on how the slicer handles 'Select All', it's a bug.

Hi @Kashinoda ,

Looks like now I understand the problem. Thanks for detailed explanation 🙂

In order to fulfil your requiremnt, is it right to turn-off "Show Select-All Option" under Selection Controls for your slicer?

Because I think Select-All option still wors on the principal of selecting everything from the column on which slicer is based.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

How do we get confirmation this is a bug or not?

@Admin - I assume this user is actually a Power BI community admin representative. If so, please can you confirm if what has been described in this thread is a bug or not?  If it is a bug, can you raise it as so, or instruct me on how to raise it?

@Kashinoda - don't wish to steal your thunder but how you're interpreting the functionality is how, I'd imagine, 99% of users would too.

Same issue here. I created a new topic about this in the 'Issues' section:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/quot-Select-all-quot-behavior-on-a-slicer-while-visual-level...

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kashinoda 

Based on my test.the option works well.I would suggest you update to latest version of Power BI Desktop then try again.Below is the article about the new filter pane.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-report-filter-preview

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-cherch-msft 

I'm already on the latest version, I updated again anyway to be sure and the error is still there.

Visually it looks to work on the slicer, but the data does not filter. Try adding a visual to your demo and see if that works.

Hi @Kashinoda 

Visual level Filters- These filters work only on visualizations.

Page level Filters- These filters work at the page of a report.

Report level Filters- These filters work on entire report including all pages and visualizations.

If you want the filter work for the two visuals,i would suggest you use page level filter.

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.