Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmenting customer by purchase behavior

Hello, 

I am hoping someone could help.

I want to segment my customer by : buyer who bought once, every 2 month, every 3 month, etc..

For that i have a table with unique ID and date of their first order, i have another table with all the purchase history for a year with the same ID, Transaction ID, date of the order and the product they bought.

I tried to use a custom column in the first table but i have a hard time to be able to use a DAX formula that can join my two tables...

If someone has a better idea, that would save my day !! 

Thank you in advance 

Best regards 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Anonymous 

Assuming that if Customer A buy something on 1,3,4,6,10 month, what group should be for him? every 2 month, every 3 month, every 4 month?

So sample data and expected output would help tremendously. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490 

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

What is the logic of "every 2 month, every 3 month, etc.." ?

If one customer is every 2 month and every 3 month, which group should be segmented into.

Sample data and expected output would help tremendously. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

Sorry for my late answer. 

My purpose is to group customer based on their purchase behavior Like 

Customer A,B,C buy every 2 month

Customer D,E,F buy every 3 month 

Customer  G,H,I buy every 4 month 

Customer  J,K,L bought only once etc...

That i can use to understand my customer retention.

Is it more clear ? 

Thank you in advance 

Best regards 

hi, @Anonymous 

Assuming that if Customer A buy something on 1,3,4,6,10 month, what group should be for him? every 2 month, every 3 month, every 4 month?

So sample data and expected output would help tremendously. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490 

Best Regards,
Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Lili, 

Indeed, i didnt think about that, thank you for your answer, please find attached the table i am working with,

Purchase_dateType of orderTransaction IDCustomer Id AmountCustomer statusregionFirst purchase dateLast purchase date
01/01/2018sales orderEU00000D0000050ActiveEU01/02/201701/01/2018

i have a date table  and unique ID table with Customer ID and first purchase date.

Now i only want to set 5 max different segment and your question made me think that maybe segmenting by month will not work i will still have some customer without segment. 

Maybe an average of the frequency based on their purchase behavior will be more appropriate.

As : 

Customer A,B buy every one to two month 

Customer C, D buy every 3 to 4 month etc.. 

Then the kind of customer you are talking about can go in the first or second segment. Maybe having a dynamic column like this 'Frequency'  added to the unique ID table :

Customer Id First purchase dateFrequency
D000001/02/2017Every 2 to 3 month

Thank you for your support.

Best regards 

Ilhame

HI, @Anonymous 

Could you please tell me if you still have other problem?

if not, please close the topic and mark the relevant post as an answer. Thank you Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.