Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentation

Hello,

I looking for a solution for the following problem. I need to be able to analyze data for a period based on the first occurence for the customer in the period and its previous activity. I have categorization rule I have to apply. Per exemple if the difference between its first activity in the period and the previous (which is not in the period) is 0 or 1 days, it is category 1. if it is between 2 and 5 days is is category 2. Else it is category 3.

I have a customer and date dimension, a fact table who track customer activity by date. Something like that

Customer idDateValue
12017-11-301
22017-11-302
12017-11-293
12017-11-284
12017-11-275
12017-11-266
12017-11-227
12017-11-168
12017-11-019

I use the date from the date dimension like a slicer to select the period I want to analyse.  So according the rule I explained:

if the period is between 2017-11-28 and 2017-11-30, I need  measures telling me there is 1 Cat1 (customer #1), 0 in cat 2 and 1 Cat3 (Customer #2).

if the period is betwwen 2017-11-26 and 2017-11-28., the mesaures Cat 1 = 0, Cat 2 = 1 (Customer #1), Cat 3 = 0,....

I tried to apply SQLBI, Segmentation pattern, but it categorise me a customer in several category. A customer can be in  only  1 category for the period selected.

To compute easily difference, I added a last actity column in the fact table where there is the date of the previous actity for the customer, I don't know if there is a good way to get this date using DAX.

I hope I am clear. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I finally found the solution by Adjusting Dynamic Segmentation pattern to my case:

Cat = 
CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT(Customer[Id]),
FILTER ( ADDCOLUMNS ( Customer,"CustomerDiff",
CALCULATE ( FIRSTNONBLANK(TOPN ( 1, VALUES (FactTable[DiffInDays] ), FactTable[DiffInDays] ),1),
CALCULATETABLE ( Customer )
,ALLSELECTED ()
)
),
COUNTROWS (
FILTER (
'Cat', NOT(ISBLANK([CustomerDiff])) &&
[CustomerDiff] >= Cat[MinDiff]
&& [CustomerDiff] <= Cat[MaxDiff]
)
) > 0
)

As I am not able to work with the earlier function I adjusted the formula: 

Previous Date = 
var currentDate = FactTable[Date]
var currentCustomer = FactTable[Id]
VAR val = CALCULATE(MAX('FactTable'[Date]),
FILTER(ALL('FactTable'),
'FactTable'[Date] < currentDate
&& 'FactTable'[Id] = currentCustomer
)
)
return IF(ISBLANK(val),DATEVALUE("2017/01/01"),val)

Is Earlier function better ?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

When the period is between 2017-11-28 and 2017-11-30, the previous date for customer 1 is 2017-11-27, right? If so, please create the following columns in your fact table.

previous date = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Date],Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Customer id]=EARLIER(Table1[Customer id])&& Table1[Value]=EARLIER(Table1[Value])+1))

Daysdiff = DATEDIFF(Table1[previous date],Table1[Date],DAY)

Then create the following measures in the fact table.

maxday per customer = MAX(Table1[Daysdiff])

Category = IF([maxday per customer]<>BLANK()&&([maxday per customer]= 0 || [maxday per customer]= 1), "Cat 1",IF([maxday per customer]<>BLANK() && [maxday per customer]>=2 && [maxday per customer]<=5,"Cat 2","Cat 3" ))
1.JPG2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft

I tried your solution but I ahve error with the first formula : previous date = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Date],Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Customer id]=EARLIER(Table1[Customer id])&& Table1[Value]=EARLIER(Table1[Value])+1))

EARLIER/EARLIEST refers to an earlier row context which doesn't exist.

Moreover, I am not sure this will work because the "Value" column can have any value so the Table1[Value]=EARLIER(Table1[Value])+1 will not work.

My other question is, will this  solution work for creating a measure for each category. I need to be able to create something like a KPI for each category and having a measure "Category" won't allow me to di that, right ?

Thanks for your help.

Here is the link to my working version: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag5lje3-r6cXwRU7dXN9Bam7gLOG

@Anonymous,

I am not able to access the file you shared. In your scenario, you can add a index column in Query Editor, then right click your table and choose "New column" to apply the following DAX.
1.JPG

previous date = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Date],Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Customer id]=EARLIER(Table1[Customer id])&& Table1[Index]=EARLIER(Table1[Index])+1))

Besides, what KPI would you like to create? Could you please post expected result in table format?

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft

You should be able to download the file. I have it tested by someone and he was able to dl it and open it.

Else try: https://www.justbeamit.com/aipfv

Even if I add the index, I still have the problem with the earlier in the previous year formula "EARLIER/EARLIEST refers to an earlier row context which doesn't exist. " for both Cutomer Id and Index

Regarding  the  KPI, imagine 3 cards visulization in power BI, each one for a category

10                          20                      15

Cat1                     Cat2                  Cat3

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I finally found the solution by Adjusting Dynamic Segmentation pattern to my case:

Cat = 
CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT(Customer[Id]),
FILTER ( ADDCOLUMNS ( Customer,"CustomerDiff",
CALCULATE ( FIRSTNONBLANK(TOPN ( 1, VALUES (FactTable[DiffInDays] ), FactTable[DiffInDays] ),1),
CALCULATETABLE ( Customer )
,ALLSELECTED ()
)
),
COUNTROWS (
FILTER (
'Cat', NOT(ISBLANK([CustomerDiff])) &&
[CustomerDiff] >= Cat[MinDiff]
&& [CustomerDiff] <= Cat[MaxDiff]
)
) > 0
)

As I am not able to work with the earlier function I adjusted the formula: 

Previous Date = 
var currentDate = FactTable[Date]
var currentCustomer = FactTable[Id]
VAR val = CALCULATE(MAX('FactTable'[Date]),
FILTER(ALL('FactTable'),
'FactTable'[Date] < currentDate
&& 'FactTable'[Id] = currentCustomer
)
)
return IF(ISBLANK(val),DATEVALUE("2017/01/01"),val)

Is Earlier function better ?

@Anonymous,

I can only reproduce your error when I create a measure using Earlier function. As my post, please create a calculate column, then apply the Earlier formula. 

In your scenario, as long as you get expected previous date value using new DAX formula, it is OK.

Regards,

Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.