Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Semih87
Helper I
Helper I

Segment movement between two dates

Dear all,

I would like to calculate the segment movement of customers between two dates, but I'dont have any idea how to model or wich dax formula to use. I have following table:

Table.png

The goal is to get a cross table by using following slicers:

slicers.png

Cross Table.png

Let me explain on two customers how the desired cross table should be calculated.

Customer 1:

- Classified as A in 2018

- Classified as B in 2019

Customer 3:

- Doesn't exist in 2018

- Classified as B in 2019

Calculation.png

My question to you: How can I realize that? Is there already a DAX pattern (I googled it but unfortunately I couldn't find anything)?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Semih

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Semih87,

I can think of a few possibilities on how to solve this, although some of them will only work if your dataset is fairly small.

I have created a report based on your sample data and requirements: report, using one of the possibilities. This one does not involve any tampering with the table, but it needs 4 extra tables/dimensions, all with one single column: year_to, year_from, classification_to and classification_from. The year-tables must contain all years from the table, while the classification-tables must contain all the segments. In addition, the classification_to-table needs a row with the value "Lost", and the classification_from-table needs "New". These 4 tables connects to the main table with 1:many-relationships. 

After that everything is handled by a measure. The DAX-code is a bit lengthy, but it is not very complicated DAX, so don't let it scare you.

I have only tested it on the data you provided, you should probably test it on a larger dataset.

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/olq93ij5y3tgzjz/Segment%20movement%20between%20two%20dates.pbix?dl=0

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Semih87,

I can think of a few possibilities on how to solve this, although some of them will only work if your dataset is fairly small.

I have created a report based on your sample data and requirements: report, using one of the possibilities. This one does not involve any tampering with the table, but it needs 4 extra tables/dimensions, all with one single column: year_to, year_from, classification_to and classification_from. The year-tables must contain all years from the table, while the classification-tables must contain all the segments. In addition, the classification_to-table needs a row with the value "Lost", and the classification_from-table needs "New". These 4 tables connects to the main table with 1:many-relationships. 

After that everything is handled by a measure. The DAX-code is a bit lengthy, but it is not very complicated DAX, so don't let it scare you.

I have only tested it on the data you provided, you should probably test it on a larger dataset.

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/olq93ij5y3tgzjz/Segment%20movement%20between%20two%20dates.pbix?dl=0

You Sir, saved my day. This approach works for me well on 10^5 rows.

Hello @sturlaws,

That's magic! Thank you very much. I will test the solution on a larger dataset next week.

Best regards

Semih

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors