cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: Seeking advice on date column transformation

I was able to tansform your sample without issue. Not sure if the large file is different in some way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agrpxnp9ys2zlwd/dates_edit.wmv?dl=1 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Tuffy Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Matt,

That is so strange why you don't get any error while performing type changes using Locale. I will figure out.

Between, may I know how you enable the two checkboxes (i.e. Column Distribution and Column Quality) as it is cool stuff to find out status of the column. I can't find it Data View pane. Thanks.

pic6.JPG

Highlighted
Tuffy Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Matt,

I am still having error and therefore, I swtich to traditional way by adding three custom columns and breakdown the Transdate into YYYY, MM, DD and later combine them into Date (text) and finally convert it into the proper date format by using Date.FromText function, and it works.

I means I can transfer the data in excel but I just want to perform this kinds of activities directly in Query Editor in case the file is too large.

I will flag your last feedback as acceped solution and if you don't mind let me now how to pull out those two checkboxes that will be great.

Super User
Super User

sorry, I was going to mention how to turn it on, but I was running late for a training course.  Go to Options and Settings\Options\Preview Features and turn on column profiling. 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Tuffy Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I did the enablement in the option setting but the two checkboxes do not display.

Super User
Super User

Did you restart power BI when prompted?

Tuffy Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Matt. case closed Smiley Happy