Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JGCPQ
Helper I
Helper I

Seeking Workflow Suggestions

Greetings.  I'm looking for any possible suggestions to replace how reports are generated for our users.  The current process is to have users open the desired Excel template from a SharePoint location, enter in an id number(s), then use a separate VBA macro (built separate from the template) to execute stored Oracle procedures and populate the template (refresh the report).  The Excel templates are made up of pivot tables and charts.  It would be nice to be able to incorporate Power BI into this reporting solution and eliminate the usage of the macro.  Whether we connect the existing Excel templates to Power BI and get Power BI to execute the Oracle procedures to refresh the pivot tables with, or build the templates into Power BI and allow users to refresh the report from there, or whatever.  We have the option to use either Power BI Desktop and/or Report Builder.  In trying to replicate the existing templates, Report Builder allows us to get closer to the existing templates than Desktop but, if we have to do some redesign to the template in order to make this work, that's fine.  Any suggestions for what the revised workflow involving Power BI could look like would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

From your description I think I would

1) Build a dataflow in Power Bi that executes the stored procedure on a schedule. Never used a connection to oracle but it should be fine.

2) Use dataflows to shape the data into a nice star schema and consume it into a power bi dataset with any measures written. You can do this in power bi desktop or tabular editor and puplish to the service. This becomes your master dataset. 

3) You can then use that dataset in both power bi desktop to author reports or if you need the detail of pagniated connect that to the same dataset.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks for getting back to me and providing the suggestion.  The stored procedures in question require a parameter(s) be passed.  A parameter(s) that the user looking to have the report generated would need to provide.  At what point in your approach would the user provide the necessary information?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.