Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomascid
Frequent Visitor

Seeing Measure data in the Data Hub

Aloha! (Sorry in advance  if I'm getting the terminology wrong!)

I've created a dashboard with a measure, and now my colleagues would like to use the data from a view of that measure in other dashboards and PowerQueries.

I published the dashboard to PowerBI online, so my colleagues can choose the dashboard when they add data from the Data Hub. However, when my colleagues add my measure of interest, it brings in all the underlying data and work - I just want them to see the final product (in the view I specified).

Is there a way to automatically "publish" a view of a particular measure so colleagues can use that? So it no longer looks like a measure to other users, just a normal table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KratosBI
Regular Visitor

Hello, Tomascid!

This is a fantastic question that I get on a semi-regular basis.

When other people have explained this issue to me, they have also described it as 'sharing a table in excel with a formula(s) included.' 

This is where Excel and Power BI differ in some ways depending upon how you choose to implement a given solution. 

In Power BI, a measure is an aggregation value that sits on top of a data model that can be comprised of hundreds of tables, relationships, security, etc. Therefore, to be able to share a measure, you need to share the data model underneath the measure. 

Two Options:

1. Create an MDX extract from your tabular model into a table and share that with the user (not recommended)

2. Create a Power BI Datamart that includes the data in your model, create a SQL query of the table you want to share (including the appropriate aggs to represent the measures), and then share that query in either the datamart or into a separate Dataflow to the user.

MDX Info: Announcing improved MDX query performance in Power BI | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Power BI Datamarts: Introduction to datamarts - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

This is where a Power BI Datamart may be a useful solution for you. 

Good Luck; I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KratosBI
Regular Visitor

Hello, Tomascid!

This is a fantastic question that I get on a semi-regular basis.

When other people have explained this issue to me, they have also described it as 'sharing a table in excel with a formula(s) included.' 

This is where Excel and Power BI differ in some ways depending upon how you choose to implement a given solution. 

In Power BI, a measure is an aggregation value that sits on top of a data model that can be comprised of hundreds of tables, relationships, security, etc. Therefore, to be able to share a measure, you need to share the data model underneath the measure. 

Two Options:

1. Create an MDX extract from your tabular model into a table and share that with the user (not recommended)

2. Create a Power BI Datamart that includes the data in your model, create a SQL query of the table you want to share (including the appropriate aggs to represent the measures), and then share that query in either the datamart or into a separate Dataflow to the user.

MDX Info: Announcing improved MDX query performance in Power BI | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Power BI Datamarts: Introduction to datamarts - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

This is where a Power BI Datamart may be a useful solution for you. 

Good Luck; I hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.