Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

See What Columns are Used in Calculated Columns, Measures and Visuals

Is there a way to highlight which columns have other calculated columns, measures and visuals dependant on it?

For example,

I have columns Sales[units] , Sales[rate], Sales[customer] and the calculated column Sales[cost] = units * rate.

This example, both columns, rate and unit have the column cost dependant on them and cost will break without them.

Customer does not have anything dependant on it so nothing would be affected if it was removed.

Something similar for visuals and measure would be nice too. If a method does not exist, I will move this to suggestions.

This would be useful for unruly, large files, not like the simple example above!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that there is no option for us to highlight what Columns are Used in Calculated Columns, Measures directly in Power BI currently.

You could post your new good idea in Power BI idea forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

For the workaround, we could only click the visual to see which fields you have selected and then you could select the calculated columns or measures to see that what columns you have used in this calculated column or measure.

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FabianS
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I had the problem a few times and created a simple web site to analyze a PBIX file and find unused fields

https://analyzepbix.azureedge.net/

Anonymous
Not applicable

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that there is no option for us to highlight what Columns are Used in Calculated Columns, Measures directly in Power BI currently.

You could post your new good idea in Power BI idea forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

For the workaround, we could only click the visual to see which fields you have selected and then you could select the calculated columns or measures to see that what columns you have used in this calculated column or measure.

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I have not used this but I believe you can use Vertipaq Analyzer, from what I rememeber it helps in showing you dependencies but idk if this is covered under it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.