Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbix
Helper III
Helper III

See Records and numeric fields

Hi All, 

Just wanted to see if this 'just me' or if I am missing something obvious?

I am using Power BI Desktop (August 2018 but similar behaviour in previous versions).

I have, for example, ONE simple single dataset of fields with different data types - e.g. strings, numbers, dates. 

When I make a chart from this data - e.g. a normal clustered column chart and click 'see records' I can drill through to the underlying data fine. However, it doesn't show fields where the data types is numeric or dates.

Is there a reason for this and is there an easy fix so that I don't have to cast numeric/date columns to text and duplicate columns in the underlying recordset with text versions of fields?

Thanks,

pbix

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@pbix,

Except the fields in the charts, "See Records" also shows all remaining text columns of the table.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft ah I think I understand what you mean after re-reading. See records shows the remaining fields in the underlying dataset?

Either way, I think it would be better to have more granular control over which fields you can drill through from from charts/measures.

I think being able to drill down to a named set in PBI like you can in SSAS MDX is even more important.

Thanks,

pbix

@pbix,

Yes. Except the fields used in charts, see records also display the remaining text fields. If you concern about the behavior in see records, you can submit an idea in the Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure I understand?

Based on thread that @HotChilli linked to, by adding the fields that don't automatically appear when I click 'see records' to the 'tooltips' section, this forces the fields to appear. Not the perfect work around but it does work.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@pbix,

I am unable to reproduce your issue in Power BI Desktop August 2018, what is your data source? You can review my example below.
2.PNG1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, 

Thanks for trying to replicate. My source is a dataset hosted in the Power BI service (but I dont think it is to do with the source - probably a setting on columns like data type maybe?)

It's difficult for me to show you an example because of data confidentiality but this is an example data row:

Table 1.png

When I click through to underlying records from a chart the following fields from the fact table are automatically selected/de-selected - the fields that are deselected are dates or integers (particularly note Appt Arrival SDT and Appt Mins ITS from the screenshot above). I can of course tick the deselected fields and this temporarily re-adds them to the view of the record when I click 'see records' but they only stay there as long as I have the 'see records' pane open for. 

Table 3.png

I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious?

Thanks, 

pbix. 

I agree with what you are seeing.

From the ms documentation

"When you select See Records for a data element, the Power BI Desktop canvas displays all the data associated with the selected element."

Please see this thread see records

Thanks @HotChilli.

Glad it’s not just me then. I’ve had a read through the thread you linked to - it looks like a couple of partial hacks to make some non-text fields appear in ‘see records’ but not a single fix to always return all fields associated with the record? I know our report consumers will unfortunately whine if they cannot see all the underlying fields associated with records.

Mods - have I interpreted this correctly?

Thanks 🙂

pbix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.