Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raymondxie
Helper II
Helper II

Security of published dashboard

Hello,

I am wondering if I published a dashboard, how do I manage the privilege like who can access it and/or the level an audient can drill down?

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I just realize most likely no one can view the dashboard even if I give him/her the link as the link is kind of special with "me" there

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/476de932-8c5a-49c4-b9c0-222fd97e0c22/ReportSection

But can you try open it?

I think the publish or "share" is just for the convenient of the dashboard creators to present them easily, for example, in a meeting. Other people cannot really open them.

However, it doesn't mean that PowerBI doesn't provide the solution to share it, the solution is: after you "share/publish" your dashboards, you will be able to further share the dashboard in the ReportSection (I would call it Report Center):

Screenshot - 26_10_2016 , 9_51_18 PM.png

The option "Publish to web" is the way to share it, you can embed the report in a web page, and you can have any control you want from the web page level.

A little be cumbersome, isn't it? I'm glad I found the solution with both @Greg_Deckler and @Seth_C_Bauer's help. Thank you.

View solution in original post

@raymondxie Don't publish to web... this will create an external embed link that will be publically available... This feature isn't meant for internal business use cases as the vast majority of the time you don't want to share your company data.

I would encourge you to check out the "Publishing and Sharing" portion of the Guided Learning section of the support site here

The high level of creating reports and sharing flows something like this.

You create a report in PBIX - this is just a report

You publish this report to your workspace, or a group workspace in the Service.

This creates a copy of your reports and the dataset in the Service in that workspace

You need to build a dashboard (usually using some elements contained in your report)

You share the dashboard with specific people from the dashboard section

Only these people will see the dashboard you've shared. They will see that dashboard in their personal workspace.

Hope that clarifies a little bit.

Be cautious with "Publish to Web" as you make your reports publically available.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.