Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Qxi_623
Frequent Visitor

Security for SSAS imported mode

Hi, I am new to PBI and a little confused about the security issue. I know Row level security supported in SSAS live connection, but I would like to make sure if any security available in import mode for SSAS tabular as data source. Anyone could advice? 

Thank you!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Qxi_623 Power BI supports RLS and is applied to your solution in the Desktop. You can read about that here. It should be a very similiar experiance as that of the Tabular Role based application.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Qxi_623

As I tested, dynamic Row Level Security also works for SSAS tabular in import mode. When using import mode, you need to provide credentials. It will check current accessing user with Roles defined in Tabular model, then return corresponding records with row filters applied. So you just need to define the role security in Tabular model, it will secure data when users access via Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft

Thank you for your test! Now I know RLS can be done in SSAS both live and import mode. Actually I just got a requirement that create a report in Power BI desktop, which can restrict PBI report users to access the data. i.e. a user can read only his own clients data and be restricted to others.  I wonder if Manage roles is the only way to achieve that via Power BI, instead of SSAS side. We have a separate team working with SSAS. Like query parameter or filtering can not perform that in this case I think.  Very appreciate if you could give some advice. 

Thank you!

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

Please refer to this blog for more information on Row Level Security in PowerBI.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thank you very much. That's an excellent instruction!

@v-sihou-msft While I know what you said is accurate for the report author... did you test the sharing component as well? My understanding of things would lead me to believe that if you just imported data from a SSAS source, the end user would see whatever the report author had permissions to see once content is shared with them. Import seperates the other model validations that are done with live connection... Unless I'm mistaken about something along the way here...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

I think you are right. The problem I having is to have end users seeing restricted data that's different from report author. I know we can use RLS in SSAS for that, but I was asked to figure out how to do via Power bi desktop or service, using import mode. What I know is creating different roles in desktop and use Security in power bi service.........My manager asked if there is any other option since developer could perform security in ssas cube. 

@Qxi_623 Power BI supports RLS and is applied to your solution in the Desktop. You can read about that here. It should be a very similiar experiance as that of the Tabular Role based application.

Thank you for the link. I think that's the only way for that. 

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.