Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Security and Stored Procedures Parameters

Here is what I'm trying to do:

I want to create a report whose data is fetched from a stored procedure. Meaning: I need to pass dynamic parameters to the Stored Procedures. I also want to apply a security filter. Meaning: I want the slicer to be filtered based on the user who is logged in and viewing the report.

Example: A Dashboard that displays a company's department employees status. Each director of each department should view his department's data only. Meaning: the slicer should only display the value of the department the user belongs to.

I hope this made sense.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems both of the two requirements are aim at filtering data for users. 

Regarding the first one, you can create a parameter and modify the Power Query code like below.

let
    Source = Sql.Database("dale2016", "contosoretaildw", [Query="exec selectFromDimProduct " & PColor])
in
    Source

Security_and_Stored_Procedures_Parameters

But I'm afraid we can't pass the username to it.

Regarding the requirement two, the RLS will be the answer. Please refer to desktop-rls#define-roles-and-rules-within-power-bi-desktop and power-bi/service-admin-rls.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

That's exactly what the RLS will do. Please refer to the snapshot below.

Security_and_Stored_Procedures_Parameters2

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems both of the two requirements are aim at filtering data for users. 

Regarding the first one, you can create a parameter and modify the Power Query code like below.

let
    Source = Sql.Database("dale2016", "contosoretaildw", [Query="exec selectFromDimProduct " & PColor])
in
    Source

Security_and_Stored_Procedures_Parameters

But I'm afraid we can't pass the username to it.

Regarding the requirement two, the RLS will be the answer. Please refer to desktop-rls#define-roles-and-rules-within-power-bi-desktop and power-bi/service-admin-rls.

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

So can I apply RLS on slicers? For example, I have 5 departments: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. They are listed inside a slicer. The Director of department 1 cannot see the data concerning the other departments. Meaning: he cannot click on departments 2, 3, 4, or 5 in the slicer. Is this possible to do?

Hi @Anonymous,

That's exactly what the RLS will do. Please refer to the snapshot below.

Security_and_Stored_Procedures_Parameters2

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.