Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rla
Regular Visitor

Security Role works in Power BI Desktop but not in Service

I currently have a role for a table where I have cost centers id's and e-mails. In the role I am saying that only people who logs into Power BI with an e-mail that is in the table UPN, E-mail or E-mail 2 can see their cost centers. The table with the e-mails has a  relation with the company dimension.

I expect that someone who has not an e-mail adres in the table sees nothing. This happens in the Power BI desktop when I test the role and I fill in an e-mail that is not in the table. But in the Power BI Service when I add an user to the role that is not in the table he sees all data and not nothing. Does anybody know why this is happening? 

The role for table UPN per cost center:

[UPN] = userprincipalname()
|| [E-mail] = userprincipalname()
|| [E-mail_2] = userprincipalname() 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rla,

Did you check if the user who has entry in the table are able to see only the restricted records?

For Security to work for a user in Power BI Service, the User should not be an Admin of the workspace and he also should not have edit permission to the workspace

If either the user is an Admin or he has edit permission to the workspace, the RLS won't work for that user

PFB link for reference

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-app-workspaces-in-power-b...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rla,

Did you check if the user who has entry in the table are able to see only the restricted records?

For Security to work for a user in Power BI Service, the User should not be an Admin of the workspace and he also should not have edit permission to the workspace

If either the user is an Admin or he has edit permission to the workspace, the RLS won't work for that user

PFB link for reference

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-app-workspaces-in-power-b...

SivaMani
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Did you check the report in others workspace?

If you were an owner of the report you will have full access on the dataset. It might be the reason. Create an app workspace and add the people and give only read access to them. Finally, ask them to check the report. it will work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.