Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisiB
Regular Visitor

Security Restrictions (Maybe RLS query)

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Power BI and have just joined in on the creation of a company dashboard. One of the things I am currently planning ahead for involves what I suspect is Row Level Security - and unfortunately I can't appear to locate a similar thread in the forum.

Essentially the group contains a set of companies that need reporting on an individual basis [each measure has 1 value for each company] (I have established I can do this via Row Level Security) but each measure also requires a group average [this would effectively be the total of the measure] however when I tested this, the aggregate was affected by the row level security (as expected as the data access for the other companies is restricted).

Is it possible to have some form of restriction so that the dashboard only allows viewing of the measure for that company, and also allows an aggregate of the measure including all the companies (that isn't affected by RLS)

Many thanks, Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ChrisiB,

I am not sure how your tables look like. But you can make a copy of your fact(data) table, then create a measure in the new table to calculate the total value, please note the the new table has no relationship with other tables.

This way, when you define RLS in the old tables of the dataset, it will not impact the total measure.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ChrisiB,

I am not sure how your tables look like. But you can make a copy of your fact(data) table, then create a measure in the new table to calculate the total value, please note the the new table has no relationship with other tables.

This way, when you define RLS in the old tables of the dataset, it will not impact the total measure.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Many thanks for your suggestion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.