Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rabbal1892
Regular Visitor

Security Concerns in Connecting PowerBi with Mysql database

I'm trying to connect Power Bi Desktop app with Mysql Database ( hosted on AWS server ). I read Power Bi provides a MySQL connector to connect with the server where the database is hosted.  I have concerns regarding the security of this connection

How secure is it to expose our database to power bi? 
Is it secure to let the connector access the entire database?.

Is it possible that it can access only the concerned tables and not the whole database? 

Our data is sensitive and we don't want anyone to read it or use it in any way. Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rabbal1892 ,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rabbal1892 ,

Regarding the security, I would suggest you download the whitepapers from power-bi/whitepapers

Regarding the other questions, the best practice related to security is always using the minimum privilege. For instance, you can grant the read permission to the user that you use in Power BI. You also can create several View in the MySQL database to hide confidential parts.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.