Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AGuero
Frequent Visitor

Second to last non blank value in an array?

I have a chart with employees and reporting relationships and am trying to do some analysis by the VP of each department.  My data looks like this:

Department  Employee     First Manager     Second Manager     Third Manager     Fourth Manager

Dept 1           Employee 1   Employee 2          Employee 3                VP1                       President

Dept 1           Employee 2    Employee 3         VP 1                            President

Dept 1           VP 1                President

Dept 2           Employee 4    Employee 5         Employee 6                 VP 2                     President

Dept 2           Employee 5    Employee 6         VP 2                             President

Dept 2           Employee 6    VP 2                     President

Dept 2           VP 2                President

I want to end up with this:

Dept     VP

Dept 1   VP1

Dept 2   VP2

Please help and thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Could try a big nested if, something like:

if([fourth manager]=null,(similar logic checking the third manager),third manager)

It'll look at each column in turn, and when it finds one that isn't blank, returns the previous column

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MarkS
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @AGuero

In the query editor, could you filter the First Manager column=President?  That should give you the VP of that department as the only employee in the department.  To get to your desired result just delete the other columns an Rename the employee column to VP.

AGuero
Frequent Visitor

MarkS,

That would work in my simple example, but in reality there are cases where an employee is in a different department than his/her VP. 

Hi @AGuero

How about a DAX Measure

Dept_VP =
LASTNONBLANK ( VALUES ( TableName[Employee] ), TableName[Employee] )

LastNonBlank_.jpg

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Thanks Everyone!

I wrote a long, nexted IF statement that worked

IF(Table[Fourth Level Manager]<>"" && Table[Fourth Level Manager] <> "President", Table[Fourth Level Manager], IF(Table[Third Level Manager]<>""&&Table[Third Level Manager]<>"President",Table[Third Level Manager],IF......

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In Power Query, just select the rows where First Manager <> null and Second Manager = null

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [First Manager] <> null and [Second Manager] = null),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Department", "Employee"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Employee", "VP"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Abduvali
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @AGuero,

You need to use Unpivot and then use Group by functions:

Unpivot and Group By Functions in Power BI Desktop

Hope this helps.

Regards

Abduvali

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Could try a big nested if, something like:

if([fourth manager]=null,(similar logic checking the third manager),third manager)

It'll look at each column in turn, and when it finds one that isn't blank, returns the previous column

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.