Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ltilley
Regular Visitor

Second Last Transaction Date without filters

Hi,

I work at a nonprofit with specific KPIs for donors based on the length of time between their two previous donations. We categorize donors in the following ways:

1. Active donors: last transaction date is within 18 months of the last day in the reporting period
  2. Lapsed donors: last transaction date is 18-36 months prior to the last day in the reporting period
  3. Lost donors: last transaction date > 36 months prior to the last day in the reporting period

Within the set of active donors, there are four mutually exclusive groups:

1. New donor: undefined/infinite amount of time between the last two gifts (transactions)
  2. Retained donor: < 18 months between last two transactions
  3. Reactivated from lapsed: 18 - 36 months between last two transactions
  4. Reactivated from lost: >= 36 months between last two transactions.

There is a customer (donor) dimension table and a transaction (donations) fact table that are related via a numeric customer id.

Based on this thread I've tried the following as a measure on the Customer (donor) table:

Second Last Transaction Date = 
VAR 
    LastTransDate = MAX(Transactions[transaction_date])
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        MAX(Transactions[transaction_date]),
        FILTER(Transactions[transaction_date] < LastTransDate)
    )

This works as expected as long as no filters are applied at the report, page, or visual level. The next thing I tried was adding ALL(Transactions), which I quickly realized gets all the transactions (including ones not related to the particular row's customer). I also tried FILTER( ALL( Transactions [ customer_id ], Transactions [ customer_id ] = Customers [ customer_id ] ), But that didn't work either.

I think I need to find a way to get all transactions for each donor without any filters applied, but I can't quite figure out how.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use these categories (new, retained, reactivated lasped, reactivated lost) as dimensions for other visualizations (e.g. # of reactivated lapsed donors per year for the last 5 years).

5 REPLIES 5
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try this

VAR LastTransDate = MAX(Transactions[transaction_date]) RETURN CALCULATE( MAX(Transactions[transaction_date]), FILTER(Transactions[transaction_date] < LastTransDate),ALLEXCEPT(Transactions,Transactions[transaction_date],Transactions[Donor]) )

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

I tried that and based on the documentation available for ALLEXCEPT, it seems like that should work, but when I tried it on my data, it didn't work.

Hi,

Share the link from where i can download your file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Are you saying the formula you have shown here is a calculated column?  You should use it as a measure and it should work. I see no issue with other filters being applied. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

It is a measure and it does work, but not in the way that I intend. Here is a specific example to illustrate:

We have regional offices who will often filter reports based on the region in which the transaction was processed (financial_region). So let's say a customer has transactions in 2 financial regions as follows:

cusomer_id transaction_date transaction amount financial_region

4538271/21/2018200WEST
4538273/12/2018150CENTRAL
4538274/5/2018100WEST

If someone is looking at a report with only financial_region = CENTRAL selected, then the measure I posted returns nothing because there are no transactions in the CENTRAL region prior to the one on 3/12/2018.

The desired behaviour would be to get the second last transaction date of the all the transactions for a particular customer_id regardless of what filters are applied to a report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.