Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Searching 3 fields.

I have a table with 3 fields:  Installer 1, Installer 2, Installer 3.

There are 20 installers that can be assigned.  Most often they are only one installer assigned.  Sometimes, they need more than one.

So Joe might be installer 1 on one record but installer 2 in another record, installer 3 on another.

I need a slicer to search on all the Installers for Joe.   I need to know where Joe is assigned now no matter which Installer he is.

I created a new field to concatenate all the Installers and then do a search but it's not very elegant.  Looking for a better solution.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

I would recommend that you create a table which unpivots the Installer names into a single column, along with a column containing the identifer of the original record (I'm assuming a Job ID of some sort). You can also include a "Role" column. Something like this: 

Job ID Name Role
Job01 Joe

Installer 1

Job01 Hannibal Installer 2
Job01 Harry Installer 3
Job02 Joe Installer 1
Job03 Mason Installer 1
Job04 Frederick Installer 1
Job04 Joe Installer 2

This table is then related to the original table on the Job ID column, either directly or via an intermediate table containing unique Job IDs (if necessary), The relationship with the above table would need to be bidirectional.

Then you can search/filter on the single Name column.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.  That worked perfectly.   Thanks.

Glad to hear it 🙂

For yourself or anyone who is interested, attached is a small example of how I would do the unpivoting (Power Query recommended).

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

I would recommend that you create a table which unpivots the Installer names into a single column, along with a column containing the identifer of the original record (I'm assuming a Job ID of some sort). You can also include a "Role" column. Something like this: 

Job ID Name Role
Job01 Joe

Installer 1

Job01 Hannibal Installer 2
Job01 Harry Installer 3
Job02 Joe Installer 1
Job03 Mason Installer 1
Job04 Frederick Installer 1
Job04 Joe Installer 2

This table is then related to the original table on the Job ID column, either directly or via an intermediate table containing unique Job IDs (if necessary), The relationship with the above table would need to be bidirectional.

Then you can search/filter on the single Name column.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.