Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Search function doesn't seem to work with a drop-down formatted slicer?

I've added a slicer to my report file and formatted it as a drop-down list. When I click on the search function, nothing happens. If I change the slicer to list format, then the search feature works. Does the search feature not work with the drop-down list format by design or is this a bug? It would be nice if it worked. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Shelley,

Make sure that you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.47.4766.801).

After you format the slicer as a dropdown, and click on the three dots and then search, you need to expand “ALL” as shown in the screenshot below, then magnifying glass will appear and you are able to search value.
1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Shelley which slicer are you referring to the default one in power bi?  the only  slicer i know that works where you can type text in this one

https://store.office.com/en-us/app.aspx?assetid=WA104380859&sourcecorrid=819c3cd1-ce5f-4d01-9bf5-817...

but i might be wrong!

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@vanessafvg Yes, the standard slicer in Power BI.

If you click on the three dots in the upper right corner and then click search,

Capture2.PNG

Power BI brings up a magnifying glass entry field like this:

Capture.PNG

When I format the slicer as a dropdoiwn, and click on the three dots and then search, nothing happens.

@Shelley,

Make sure that you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.47.4766.801).

After you format the slicer as a dropdown, and click on the three dots and then search, you need to expand “ALL” as shown in the screenshot below, then magnifying glass will appear and you are able to search value.
1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft Thanks, that did it. It works now. I thought I was on the latest version as I downloaded earlier this month.

@Shelley ah yes, see that now,mine is working

do you have a lot of data maybe, could be performance?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.