Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NiugeS
Helper V
Helper V

Search for text in Value and replace with Value from another column in another table

Hi all.  Have been trying to get some sense of this and looked up several posts but can't really work this out.  A bit new to PowerBI so any guidance on where I might find answers appreciated.  

I have two tables; one with items, user ids and user names and another items and comments.  The comments only display the UserID and not the name.

I'm looking to create a new column that has the comments with the name rather than the UserID.

Table1 ItemsTable1 
ItemAccountIDsNames
1245[~accountid:User123abc]; [~accountid:User983];  [~accountid:UserAB328]Joe; Lucy; Sarah
1256[~accountid:UserAB328]Sarah
1259[~accountid:User123abc]; [~accountid:User123]Joe; John

Table2 Comments  
IDDateCommentDesired Result
124501/01/2020Hey [~accountid:User123abc], hope all is fine.   [~accountid:User983] Can you help [~accountid:UserAB328]?Hey Joe, hope all is fine.   Lucy Can you help Sarah?
124520/01/2020Yeah no problem [~accountid:UserAB328]Yeah no problem Sarah
125615/03/2020[~accountid:User123abc] You got this?Joe You got this?
125917/03/2020[~accountid:User123abc] & [~accountid:User123] will take care of this.Joe & John will take care of this.

Any guidance on where to start or where to look would be most helpful.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

here is a sample that does step one

it matches the names to the user id's in the first table

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FRtRi_075qeoqPkiGYVnhjimVhzSZFGN/view?usp=sharing
match.PNG
I won't try to explain the steps here. If you'd like to do a session and go over them email me at ken at 8thfold dot com

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

here is a sample that does step one

it matches the names to the user id's in the first table

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FRtRi_075qeoqPkiGYVnhjimVhzSZFGN/view?usp=sharing
match.PNG
I won't try to explain the steps here. If you'd like to do a session and go over them email me at ken at 8thfold dot com

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

a short youtube to try to explain the steps i took https://youtu.be/-7UuOb7kPJQ

this is as far as i'm going to get today

heyjoe.PNG

you can see that we manage to replace the codes by looking up the names
next step will be to coalesce the words back into a sentence