Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avsparry
Frequent Visitor

Search by Keyword in another table and multiple groupings

Hi 

I am looking to search a table column (text) with keywords from another table and link it to that new table, essentially creating useful groupings from the key words. I have found several useful examples in this forum but none quite get to the bottom of my issue. I will use an example from the community.

Keyword_FACT

KeywordType
modulecontent
seminarcontent
classcontent
lecturecontent
lessoncontent
academicstaff
administratorsstaff
staffstaff
lecturersstaff

Reference_FACT

GenderDepartmentComment
MClassicsLectures and lessons are really good.
MBiology 
MClassicsI love the staff.
FClassicsI had a fun time.
MPhysicsAcademics are great
FBiologyEnjoyable lectures
MClassicsThe staff give great seminars

usind DAX

Keyword = 
CONCATENATEX(
    'Keywords_FACT',
    IF(
        SEARCH('Keywords_FACT'[Keyword], 'Reference_FACT'[Comment],,999) <> 999,
        'Keywords_FACT'[Keyword] & " ",
        ""
        )
)

and

Type = 
CONCATENATEX(
    'Keywords_FACT',
    IF(
        SEARCH('Keywords_FACT'[Keyword], 'Reference_FACT'[Comment],,999) <> 999,
        'Keywords_FACT'[Type] & " ",
        ""
        )
)

results in

GenderDepartment CommentKeywordType

GenderDepartmentCommentKeywordType
MClassicsLectures and lessons are really good.lecture lessoncontent content
MBiology   
MClassicsI love the staff.staffstaff
FClassicsI had a fun time.  
MPhysicsAcademics are greatacademicstaff
FBiologyEnjoyable lectureslecturecontent
MClassicsThe staff give great seminarsseminar staffcontent staff

So I can now use the Type column to filter my data however, if I have multiple keywords in different "types" i become unstuck (eg, final row in the example above). I don't want to create extra rows (i don't want to duplicate any data). 

I would like to filter by content or staff and have the final row available in both

If anyone can think of a useful solution would be great.

(as an aside I think it could be useful to convert the DAX into power query if that could be done as well)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @avsparry 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

You may create a measure as below.

Visual Control = 
var x = 
COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(
        DISTINCT('Table'[Type]),
        CONTAINSSTRINGEXACT(MAX(Reference_FACT[Type]),[Type])
    )
)
return
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Type]),
    IF(
        x>0,
    ),
)

Finally you need to put the measure in the visual level filter to display the result.

x2.png

x.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @avsparry 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

You may create a measure as below.

Visual Control = 
var x = 
COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(
        DISTINCT('Table'[Type]),
        CONTAINSSTRINGEXACT(MAX(Reference_FACT[Type]),[Type])
    )
)
return
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Type]),
    IF(
        x>0,
    ),
)

Finally you need to put the measure in the visual level filter to display the result.

x2.png

x.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@avsparry here you go, solution attached. I think there are a few things where I can improve but for now, it is ok. I think I have to spend more time working with List.Intersect for a more elegant solution.

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k is there anyway to expand this to search in two columns?

Just another comment. I have tried using this solution on my actual data set (which is much larger) and it is significantly slower than using DAX. Do you have this issue also?

I'm afraid I won't be able to send you this data set

Hi @parry2k 

This works for me and sorts out moving the issue to power query, have you any advice on how to filter by type now we have it in this format?

Cheers

ps I like this solution, i'll try and get my head around all the bits, for anyone who doesn't want to download the pbix, you need to create this function and then use in addcolumn on your data table.

(searchText as text,   ignoreCase) =>
let
    SplitSearchTextToList = Text.Split(searchText," "),  //split search text by space
    searchList = Table.Column(Keywords_FACT, "Keyword"), //get list of keywords
    typeList = Table.Column(Keywords_FACT,"Type"),       //get list of keywords type

SearchPos = List.Transform(SplitSearchTextToList,each 
    List.PositionOf( searchList, _, 0,(searchText,searchValue) => let newsearchText = if ignoreCase then Text.Lower(searchText) else searchText, newsearchValue = if ignoreCase then Text.Lower(searchValue) else searchValue  in Text.Contains(newsearchValue,newsearchText))), //search each search word in the keyword list and get the list of search position

RemovePos = List.RemoveItems(SearchPos,{-1}), //remove not found search position 
    GetKeywords = Text.Combine(List.Transform(RemovePos,each searchList{_}),","), //get list of keywords based on the search position
    GetType = Text.Combine(List.Transform(RemovePos,each typeList{_}),","), //get list of type based on the saarch position
    #"Keywords and Type" = [Keywords=GetKeywords,Type=GetType] //create a record of keyword and type
in
    #"Keywords and Type"

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@avsparry can you also share the excel file you used in pbix since I will be doing transformation in PQ and need  data file.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@avsparry I think it will be easy to do in PQ than DAX and I have to go back and look at one of my solutions where I did a similar thing. Can you put this sample data in a pbix file and share it using One drive/google drive.

Hi @parry2k 

thanks for having a look at this, here is a link to the example https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgjslguu4v1bgsl/communityexample.pbix?dl=0

I have been trying to implement something in PQ but I'm just not good enough at it. Really interested to see your solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.