Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomgag
Resolver I
Resolver I

Search amd exclude certain strings

Hi, I have the search function but want to exclude certain strings.

Ball= IF (ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Messi", Table[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ),
)

It gives me 1 or 0 depending if Messi is in the string. I want to add exclusion for Ronaldo and Pogba. So if Messi only is in the string it is 1, if "Messi and Ronaldo or Pogba" are it is 0.

'Messi is great' the result is 1

'Messi and Ronaldo are great' the result is   0

'Messi and Ronaldo or Pogba are great'the result is 0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tomgag
Resolver I
Resolver I

Ball = IF (NOT(ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Messi", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) )) && ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Ronaldo", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ) && ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Pogba", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ), 1, 0)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
tomgag
Resolver I
Resolver I

Ball = IF (NOT(ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Messi", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) )) && ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Ronaldo", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ) && ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Pogba", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ), 1, 0)

Hi @tomgag,

It's glad that you have solved your problem. Please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regargds,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

None of your solutions worked I am afraid.

My code will work but if you got it resolved, tha'ts what all matters. There is always many way to do the things. Good for you!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Ball= 
IF (
ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Messi", Table[Column], 1, BLANK () ) )
&&
(
ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Ronaldo", Table[Column], 1, BLANK () ) )
||
ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Pogba", Table[Column], 1, BLANK () ) )

)
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I give 1 when Messi and Ronaldo or Pogba inside the string.

Can you confirm your logic, it is not super clear

give example of your data and expected result.

Capture.PNG;;;;

Results should be:

Ball

seems like you want if it is messi or ronaldo or pogba then 0 else 1 whereas you explain messi and ronaldo or pogba, is this correct understanding?

'Messi is great' the result is 1

'Messi and Ronaldo are great' the result is   0

'Messi and Ronaldo or Pogba are great' the result is 0

but with you data and expected result your requirements doesn't match

Results should be:

Ball

0 -> This data line is Messi and Ronaldo and as per your explanation it should be 1 but in expected result you said it should be zero

I'm bit confused what you are actually looking for.

I do not know how can I explain it. Can you try to read is again? I just want to have 1 when Messi is present but no Ronaldo or Pogba.

As per my 3 explanaitons only Messi without Ronaldo or Pogba is 1. If Messi and Ronaldo then 0!

try this

S = 
var isMessi = SEARCH( "Messi", Table2[Column1], , -1)
var isRonaldo = SEARCH( "Ronaldo", Table2[Column1], , -1)
var isPogbo = SEARCH( "Pogbo", Table2[Column1], , -1)
RETURN
IF( isRonaldo > 0 || isPogbo > 0, 0, if( isMessi > 0, 1, 0 ) )

Your codes did not work!

I found the solution

Desired result = 
    IF (NOT(ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Messi",   'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ))
        &&  ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Ronaldo", 'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) )
        &&  ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Pogba",   'Table'[Column], 1, BLANK () ) ),
        0)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.