Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

longhorn2009
Frequent Visitor

Search Filter For Hierarchy

HI All,

I have been playing out with how to figure out how to do a contains filter for two tables that I am unable to join due to the lack of data for some of the values.

In on table I have:

Project IDWorkstream IDValue
59 2
98 6

In a master table I have in the dataverse, I have:

Project IDWorkstream ID

Since some of the data entered don't have Project IDs, I would like to filter the data from the Project Level to show all underlying workstreams (including blank IDs). If there is a Workstream ID, when I select the second level of the hierarchy from the master table, I would like to only see that Workstream ID.

Normally I would use a key to join the two tables but the items with blank Workstream IDs would not be brought in. 

I tried the following measure but it obviously only works at the project level. Is there any way to have it use the Project ID / Workstream ID hierarchy from the master table to say that if the Workstream ID is blank then search the project and if I select a Workstream ID then locate the Workstream ID?

Measure 2 =
VAR searchvalue =
    SEARCH (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Master[ProjectID] ),
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Data[ProjectID] ),
        BLANK ()
    )
RETURN
    IF ( searchvalue > 0, "Found" )
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @longhorn2009 ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create calculated column.

Flag =
var _select=SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"1",[Project ID]
var _select1=
SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'master table'[Project ID] in _select&&'Table'[Project ID]=EARLIER('master table'[Project ID])),"2",[Workstream ID])
return
IF(
    'master table'[Project ID] in _select && BLANK() in _select1 ,"Blank","Found")

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_0-1670293552158.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @longhorn2009 ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create calculated column.

Flag =
var _select=SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"1",[Project ID]
var _select1=
SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'master table'[Project ID] in _select&&'Table'[Project ID]=EARLIER('master table'[Project ID])),"2",[Workstream ID])
return
IF(
    'master table'[Project ID] in _select && BLANK() in _select1 ,"Blank","Found")

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_0-1670293552158.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors