Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduling refresh with dual content pack and database data

Facts:

Content packs are automatically updated everyday

Databases schedule refresh using enterprise gateway

Question:

If I have a content pack pulling out the data in desktop mode (Google Analytics) and I am pulling data from a local database.  How would the Data refresh work.

Thanks

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In your scenario, you get data from a local database, and then create a content pack use it. Databases schedule refresh using enterprise gateway, you want to know if the users who use this content pack will get the latest data or not, right?

When you make and save a change to the dashboard that you used to create the content pack, Power BI reminds you to update it so others can see the changes.

After update the content pack, for group members who haven't customized the content pack, the update is automatically applied. Group members who have customized the content pack receive a notification that there is a new version. They can navigate to the content pack library and get the updated content pack without losing their personalized version. They'll now have 2 versions: the personalized version and the updated content pack.

Reference
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-manage-update-delete/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Charlie,

Havnmt created content pack.  Have a report which uses the Google Analytics 'Get Data' in desktop mode.  The same report also referenced a local database.  The refresh options where not available only using a personalised gateway.  In the end had to have two seperate reports which fed into the one dashboard.  Am i right in that this is the only way to have two different data sources refreshable.  Still trying to get head round content packs.  Should I be using content packs to share things rather than clicking share in online mode?

Thanks

Chris

Hi jak82,

Should I be using content packs to share things rather than clicking share in online mode?

I would prefer to clicking share in online mode. Since for content pack when updated it, group members who have customized the content pack receive a notification that there is a new version. They can navigate to the content pack library and get the updated content pack.

Reference

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-manag...

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also it does not seem to give me the option to schedule using the enterprise gateway?  Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.