Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reeceBusiness

Scheduling Refresh For Multiple Sources

Hello All,

I have pulled data from an SQL Server on the Power BI desktop and have been able to schedule an automatic refresh from the Power BI browser.  Unfortunately, when I pull a table in from an excel file on my computer to the Power BI desktop, I am no longer to schedule an automatic refresh.  Is there anyway to schedule an update for all data sources in a report?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you haven't done it, I believe you will need to add a data source of type file in the PBI service, just like you did for your sql server data source

The path/name must match exactly as in your PBI desktop file, and likely must be accessible by your on-premise gateway

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @reeceBusiness,

We can schedule refresh for the dataset with a combine data source of SQL DB and Excel file.

Unfortunately, when I pull a table in from an excel file on my computer to the Power BI desktop, I am no longer to schedule an automatic refresh.

Did you receive any error when scheduling refresh for the dataset on the service? Could you be more precisely with the issue that you can't schedule the refresh?Smiley Happy

Regards

The error occurs when I click "schedule refresh".  When the connection is only to the SQL database, the gateway shows as available and allows for a refresh.  However, when I get data from an excel file on the desktop and make a report and publish to the browser version, the gateway is no longer available leaving an automatic refresh as an unavailable option.

If you haven't done it, I believe you will need to add a data source of type file in the PBI service, just like you did for your sql server data source

The path/name must match exactly as in your PBI desktop file, and likely must be accessible by your on-premise gateway

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors