Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

flowie
Frequent Visitor

Schedule Run of Power Automate Flows created with PowerBI

I would like to run a Power Automate flow created with PowerBI on a schedule. Currently the flow is built into a PowerBI dashboard and the only option to run it is manually when: "On PowerBI button clicked". I need to run the flow daily and when I'm on vacation or OOO I won't be able to manually click the flow button. This will reduce the amount of manual clicks and we will have the opportunity to send the reports to our clients at any time on schedule.

On PowerBI Button Clicked.png

If there is no current solution, please give a like to this idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=c8349b43-e64a-ec11-a3ee-281878bd6ffd

Best,

Flowie

7 REPLIES 7
Tigga

did you ever solve this?  I have a similar problem as my automation makes specific template files to upload in a different system.

I cant automate the export of a table to xlsx files so have to build my own automation to do this.

BUT I need it to happen every day.

At the moment I am going in a having to click on the button to start the automation.

svishnubhatla
Regular Visitor

hi @flowie , I have the same requirement. Did you ever figure out how to do it?

jeroendekk
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @flowie 
You can create a new flow in Power Automate as a scheduled flow. So the trigger is no longer the button in Power BI but a fixed time/day. I actually think ther is a flow template for this.

Best regards,
Jeroen Dekker

Hi @jeroendekk, can you provide more details on how to do it? I'm not sure how to create the schedule if my datasource is PowerBI

What is the rest of your flow doing? You only show a screenshot of the trigger. You can create scheduled flows that interact with Power BI, but I think the trigger may limit which actions are available so it'll depend on what you're actually doing in the flow. 

You can create new flows from make.powerautomate.com, one of the options is "scheduled cloud flow" and if you search the actions for "Power BI" you can see what's available. 

yes it is the trigger which is the issue.  Using the trigger

'On Power BI button clicked' you can transfer the data from powerBI, but when you schedule a flow, you havent passed the data yet.  So how can one pass the data from powerBI to the flow?  The rest is easy!  its passing the data which is the issue.

You can do a scheduled flow that has the action "query a Power BI dataset" as the first step. You give it a DAX query and it'll return whatever the result is to Power Automate. You would not use the "click a button" at all if you're going with scheduled. I did a video on the dataset query action here if that's useful: https://youtu.be/5-0KH0IiDjU?si=w1xlu1gVG7IxIFSO

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.