Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msencie
Regular Visitor

Scenario analysis with parameters

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to create a dynamic business case in Power BI, where our potentials clients would have to input some data related to their business and with those, the business case of the solution we provide will adapt based on those parameters.

To do so, I created a table with the different phases of implementation filled with -1 or 1 depending if it is a cost or a revenue such as this:

DatePhase 1Phase 2Phase 3Phase 4Phase 5Phase 6Phase 7Phase 8
M1-1       
M2 -1      
M3 -1      
M4  -1     
M5  -1     
M6  -1     
M7   -1-1111
M8   -1-1111
M9   -1-1111
M10   -1-1111
M11   -1-1111
M12   -1-1111
Total Y111111111
Total Y2  111111
Total Y3  111111

I tried to use the "What if" parameters to use as input from the clients, and then use these to apply calculations on my table above and then reflect the results in some charts, but I can't seem to link my parameters to the table, so I can't manage to make any calculations.

Does anyone have an idea on how I could do it?

Thank you very much in advance for your contribution.

Sincerely,

Mathieu

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@msencie

When create What-If Parameter, it will create a calculated and a calculated measure. You should use that measure in your calculation. 

I assume you have a flag measure (that  or 0 value) already. Then you just need to combine with the what-if parameter measure in your formula, like: 

=[Flag]*[what-if parameter measure]

For more details, please refer to links below: 

WHAT-IF ANALYSIS IN POWER BI DESKTOP

Create and use a What if parameter to visualize variables in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed what I did what to create a table with "Flag" values (-1, 0 or 1 depending if the column represents a cost or  a revenue), then I created the "what-if parameters" and then I used the "what-if parameters" value (so the measure) to create new columns in my flag table with calculations based on those "what-if parameters measures" but the calculations don't seem to apply.

Any idea?

Thank you very much!

@v-sihou-msft

I'm still facing some problems on this, basically, I can't seem to use the parameters in the calculations of a new column. When I do this:

New Column = Data[Column 1] * 30 . It works well but when I try to do this:

New Column= Data[Column 1] * 30 * 'What-if Parameter'[What-if Parameter Value] , it doesn't return anything.

Any on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to do the same thing but have not been able to figure out how to use the chosen value of the what-if parameter in a new column.

In my case I have one what-if parameter for each category of product and need to be able to link the product name to the what-if parameter for my analysis.

Has anybody been able to figure out how to do this?

Thanks,

Caroline

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.