Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RicardoHüttl

Scenario Comparison with parameters

Hey, guys

I'm trying to make a scenario comparison similar to "What if", but using text parameter instead. I have connected a building 3D model to Power BI and need to analyze some situations. For example, if I click a wall that is now made of brick, I have its area and cost (from 3D model), but what if I change its material to drywall or wood frame? What would the cost be? Any ideas on how to do that? I thought using an external database, but can't make the relationship between them. Now the total cost is calculated by "area x unit cost". What I need is to calculate total cost by "area x unit cost for any system".

Thank you

RicardoHttl_0-1639089533702.pngRicardoHttl_1-1639089554307.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@RicardoHüttl there are probably lots of ways to do this, but I've attached an example with one possibility.  Basically just involves a Material/Cost table, and a single-selection slicer to control which material is selected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kQF5Kf_zDko0N1SuXGB4IvG0LBM_6j5F/view?usp=sharing 

ebeery_0-1639104498684.png

ebeery_1-1639104507540.png

ebeery_2-1639104519299.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@RicardoHüttl there are probably lots of ways to do this, but I've attached an example with one possibility.  Basically just involves a Material/Cost table, and a single-selection slicer to control which material is selected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kQF5Kf_zDko0N1SuXGB4IvG0LBM_6j5F/view?usp=sharing 

ebeery_0-1639104498684.png

ebeery_1-1639104507540.png

ebeery_2-1639104519299.png

ebeery, that's exactly what I need, thank you very much!

let me ask you another question, please. what if I want to use multiple materials? Something like wall 1 - wood, wall 2 - drywall ,and the others walls brick, using the same table. In this case,  I want to analyze the impact on global cost if I change just one or two walls, not all of them.

@RicardoHüttl it is theoretically possible - you would probably need to duplicate the structure built though (wall 1 material table, wall 2 material table, etc.).  At a certain point, I would question whether Power BI is the right tool to be using.  In my opinion and experience, doing scenario modeling which requires a lot of flexibility can get pretty cumbersome very quickly in Power BI, and you might be better off just starting with a well-designed Excel model, using Data Validation, lookup tables, etc.

Yeah, makes sense. Thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors