cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teylyn Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Scatter with date on X and time on Y

I have this chart in Excel where I plot dates on the X and hours on the Y axis. Each dot is an event. This helps visualize busy times.

2016-02-16_13-58-03.png

I'm trying to create the same chart in Power BI Desktop, but am failing miserably. The Y axis shows a count of times and the X axis shows a count of dates. I have created an Index column and dragged it to the details, the model shows the correct date format, but I still see only one data point in the middle of the chart. No date hierarchy. The only option is to switch to distinct count.

2016-02-16_14-05-20.png

Is it possible to

12 REPLIES 12
Super User
Super User

Re: Scatter with date on X and time on Y

seems the issue is that Power BI doesn't like using dates and times on the Axes.  I tested the following and it worked.

Use an integer to represent the Day 1, 2, 3 etc

Use a decimal number to represent the time 12.5, 14.75 etc

Add a unique ID column (can be A, B, C or what ever)

Set the default aggreagation for the first 2 columns to be SUM and the third to be DO NOT Aggregate

Put the first 2 on your axes, and the third on details.

Not perfect, but it may get you going.  I assume R can do this, but this looks non-trivial to get started (doable, but not trivial).

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Highlighted
greggyb New Contributor
New Contributor

@MattAllington has nailed it. I tried responding last night, but the forum was eating my replies.

Here's a sample workbook implementing that method (I use dates and an explicit measure rather than a numeric date column, but the effect is the same). This is because the axes of a scatter plot seem to only take a measure, and cannot display literal field values.

Nadim1313 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

HUGE PROBLEM! PLEASE SORT IT OUT MICROSOFT. Nobody wants a scatter chart that only gives you the option to have a count of values on the X and y axis...

sdjensen Senior Member

The Scatter charts are designed for measures on x and y axis that is why when you add a text member is will turn this into a count - this happens in all visuals when you put a dimension member into a values field.

Edit: You can use date on the play axis.

/sdjensen
B_Real Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ive just run into this same problem. Wow. Power BI can't handle dates on scatter plots. In 2016. For info, Tableau handles dates perfectly. 

Disclaimer: I don't work for Tableau

Steve_Wheeler Established Member
Established Member

I agree it's a big gap, along with not having a Duration data type in DAX (though it exists in Power Query).  

Despite their Known Limitations, you can do date-time 'scatterplots' with simple R visuals - e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7160565/how-to-create-a-time-scatterplot-with-r  Though formatting, and converting to POSIXct, can be a bit fiddly.

Here's the code I used to plot Call Times by Weekday for the visual shown below:

library(ggplot2)    # Needed for ggplot
library(ggthemes)   # has a clean theme for ggplot2
library(scales)        # Needed for scale_x_datetime

#Convert the time format, and account for timezone (so X axis starts at midnight not 08:00!)
dataset$`Call Time`<- as.POSIXct(dataset$`Call Time`,format="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%OS", tz="GMT")
# Avoid having to reference dataset$ each time in function calls
attach(dataset)

#Plot the dataset by Week Day (re-ordered from alphabetic) and Call Time
ggplot(dataset, aes(x=reorder(`Week Day`,`Week Day Number`), y=`Call Time`)) +
#Show points with 90% transparency to cater for overtyping, and ignore NA results in the dataset
  geom_point(alpha=0.1, size=4, na.rm=TRUE) +
#Set the X axis to hourly breaks
  scale_y_datetime(breaks=date_breaks("2 hours"), labels=date_format("%H:%M")) + 

#Now some formatting
#Apply tidy Tufte theme with no axis ticks
  theme_tufte(base_family="Arial", ticks=FALSE) +
#Clear axis labels and set Title
  labs(x=NULL, y=NULL, title="Calls by weekday & time of day") +
#Rotate X axis
  theme(axis.text.x = element_text(angle = 90)) +
#Format Title
  theme(plot.title=element_text(hjust=0, color="grey", size=12))

Scatterplot.png

SrujanaNeelam Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar issue.I want to plot 2 months dates on x axis and time intervals in a span of 24 hours with 15 min intervals break on Y -aixs.So for each day i have 96 Time Stamps.I just need to plot on X and Y with out any aggregation.This is very imp requirement to us.So can anyone pls help.We tried but no luck,everytime trying to drag this field onto visual I am getting the count of Date and Count of time,Which doesnt make anysense.Appreciate quick response and help.

SrujanaNeelam Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Teyln,

I have similar problem now.I want simple XY scatter plot with date on x axis and times on Y axis.How can I do this using Power BI.looks like you encounterd similar problem a while back.Appreciate your help.Thanks You.

Marco213 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I got it to work correctly.  It is not a huge problem, just that the charting works differently.  You can get only numeric values on either axis of a scatter chart, and then split the things you are aggregating in th bubbles using details and legend.  The closest you can get is datevalues (or monthvalues, or weeknum) - and you want whatever you use to represent an atomic unit in your dataset (no aggregation).  Then it works quite beautifully.