Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kevcurtis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Scatter plot with non-aggregated data? Display current and desired ratings on a scale with icons

Power BI Community,

I'm attempting to create a visual that plots current and desired values across the X axis associated with a various topic areas as the Y axis. Each topic area contains 4 questions, with answers as a text rating which map to a numerical value (1 to 5, .5 increments) defined by a category: Snapshot (current and desired) and a Viewpoint (current and desired). Ideally I'd like to visually represent the data like a scatter plot and if one or more of the categories have the same rating the icons can be stacked on top each other.

With a measure I've concatenated the Snapshots/Viewpoints be grouped together in a matrix table but understand images cannot be used in this visual. I've also tried a scatter plot to no avail since it requires numerical values that are aggregated.

Is there a workaround for this or a way to achieve this scenario? I've browsed custom visuals and none seem to address my use case. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy to send sample data if needed.

Thanks

Kevin

Below you will find a populated matrix table and the desired visual I'd like to achieve in Power BI that was mocked up in Excel.

Matrix table in PBI:

Matrix_Table_PBI.png

Desired outcome mocked up in Excel:

Maturity Model_Ideal.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kevcurtis,

How about using other icons instead? You can see it from my test.

replacewithicon =
VAR quantity =
    SUM ( 'Sales'[Quantity] )
RETURN
    IF (
        quantity < 200,
        UNICHAR ( "9733" ),
        IF (
            quantity < 600,
            UNICHAR ( "10026" ),
            IF (
                quantity < 1500,
                UNICHAR ( "9885" ),
                IF ( quantity < 10000, UNICHAR ( "9913" ), UNICHAR ( "10057" ) )
            )
        )
    )

Scatter plot with non-aggregated data Display current and desired ratings on a scale with icons..JPG

You can refer to this site for other icons.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kevcurtis,

How about using other icons instead? You can see it from my test.

replacewithicon =
VAR quantity =
    SUM ( 'Sales'[Quantity] )
RETURN
    IF (
        quantity < 200,
        UNICHAR ( "9733" ),
        IF (
            quantity < 600,
            UNICHAR ( "10026" ),
            IF (
                quantity < 1500,
                UNICHAR ( "9885" ),
                IF ( quantity < 10000, UNICHAR ( "9913" ), UNICHAR ( "10057" ) )
            )
        )
    )

Scatter plot with non-aggregated data Display current and desired ratings on a scale with icons..JPG

You can refer to this site for other icons.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thank you for the suggestion! This has helped me get one step further to solving my use case. I used a measure on top of a measure to define unicode icons for each status. This works on the premise there would only be 6 statuses in total which I needed to define an icon for:

Snapshot current
Snapshot desired
Viewpoint current
Viewpoint desired
Snapshot current, Snapshot desired
Viewpoint current, Viewpoint desired

Problem:

Essentially I'm hard coding in the icons for each status value which works for the above scenario BUT in the actual data set there will be many permutations for each person in which defining an icon for each does not work (and I can't define a color for each).

Ideal solution:

I'd like to define 4 images or shapes that have transparency so they can be stacked on top of each other, dynamically, creating a shape that will define unique statuses (similar to the Excel mockup in my original post).

In the short term this could work for some scenarios but with the amount of data I have I don't believe it will scale very well. Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed!

Measure used:

MStatusIcons = 
IF([MultCategory] = "Snapshot current",UNICHAR ("9679"),"")&IF([MultCategory] = "Snapshot desired",UNICHAR ("9670"),"")&
IF([MultCategory] = "Viewpoint current",UNICHAR ("9675"),"")&
IF([MultCategory] = "Viewpoint desired",UNICHAR ("9671"),"")&
IF([MultCategory] = "Snapshot current,Snapshot desired",UNICHAR ("9055"),"")&
IF([MultCategory] = "Viewpoint current,Viewpoint desired",UNICHAR ("9098"),"")

Original measure:

MultCategory = CONCATENATEX(VALUES(Assessment[Category_CurrentDesired]),Assessment[Category_CurrentDesired],",")

Output:

Measure_Output.png

Hi @kevcurtis,

I'm a little confused. You already have the Matrix. I thought the only thing is changing the words with shapes. Maybe you can try a measure like below. Then you can define four groups or more.

MStatusIcons =
IF (
    [MultCategory] IN { "Snapshot current", "Snapshot desired" },
    UNICHAR ( "9670" ),
    IF (
        [MultCategory] IN { "Viewpoint current", "Viewpoint desired" },
        UNICHAR ( "9671" ),
        IF (
            [MultCategory] IN { "Snapshot current", "Snapshot desired" },
            UNICHAR ( "9055" ),
            IF (
                [MultCategory] IN { "Viewpoint current", "Viewpoint desired" },
                UNICHAR ( "9098" ),
                ""
            )
        )
    )
)

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your response.

Correct, I do already have the Matrix and I did achieve changing the words with shapes by using unicode characters. The measure created does provide a solution for the list of statuses (6 total) defined in MStatusIcons.

My matrix displays one respondents’ (out of 50) answers at a time using a slicer. The data is dynamic and the challenge is, when two or more statues have the same rating, I would need to define a completely new shape to represent it visually...  

Example:

Referencing the original matrix screenshot: e.g. 9.2 Topic area; three statuses are equal to ‘Rating 3.5’

Snapshot current = 3
Snapshot desired = 3.5
Viewpoint current = 3.5
Viewpoint desired = 3.5

Shape 1: Snapshot current (shape already defined: 9679)
Shape 2: Snapshot desired, Viewpoint current, Viewpoint desired (new shape needs to be defined)

The legend for each shape would become a long list with many more than 6 shapes in total (and it would be hard to understand the status at-a-glance).

When I mentioned having the ability to define 4 images/shapes that have transparency and can be stacked on top of each other would avoid the need to define a shape for each the possible combination of statuses.

Hope that helps your understanding. I realize this a very specific use case and somewhat difficult to provide clarity on the details. Either way, I’d consider your original response to my thread a solution and may need to create a new thread for the additional challenges.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I was able to achieve a solution to this challenge with the standard scatter plot visual. Took a bit more time working through it with some inspiration from the community.

Thread:

How to achieve this Tableau visual in Power BI?

Thanks

Kevin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.